thrush that wont go away

my son has thrush he's been on 4 differant meds. and still no luck do any of you ladies have any home remedies i can try maybe it might help his butt to if this thrush would go away. and yes i sterilize all the bottles ,nippels,caps,binkys,everything i even got new bottel nippels and binkys it almost went away in the nicu when he was on antiboitics but now that he,s off its gotten worse.

SarahRandall

Asked by SarahRandall at 3:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sarah, I'm going to point you over to the Breastfeeding Moms group and our Resources Forum. There's an EXCELLENT post there on thrush treatments.

I'll also direct you over to kellymom.com for more thrush-fighting info.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• try gentian violet. I had a friend who went through the same thing and it was the only thing that worked for her.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 3:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The medicine for thrush needs to be applied up to 4 times a day, and I used a safety swab to apply inside of my daughter's mouth, I soaked it up reall good and it was gone within a week! And she had it pretty bad, you have to be consistent with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The absolute strongest thing to get rid of thrush in your baby is gentian violet. It does not require a prescription, but you do have to ask the pharmacist for it.

You need to kill the yeast in your whole house to keep your baby from getting reinfected. Go to the health food store and buy liquid grapefruit seed extract, destilled water, and a spray bottle. Put in 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract for every 1 oz of destilled water. So, if it's a 24 oz spray bottle, you will have 240 drops of extract in it. Use this solution to spray everything your baby's mouth touches, toys, teethers, furniture, etc. It is safe and will not harm him.

In the laundry, put in 1 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle of each load. This will kill all the yeast in your clothes, towels, etc.

You must continue sanitizing everything for 1 week after your baby's symptoms have cleared.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If you're breastfeeding, you need to be on Diflucan because you could have the thrush in your milk now.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• In my opinion, gential violet is the best thing for thrush. My youngest had it when she was a baby and because I was nursing she gave it to me. Although it didn't seem to bother her very much it was so painful for me. The gential violet cleared it up for both of us. I will warn you though, the gential violet will turn your baby's mouth purple. lol
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 3:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i agree gentian violet for both you and baby, use a cotton swab in his mouth then feed immediately.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009