How do you start potty training a 15month old

My daughter is 15months old and i wanted to start potty training and have no clue how to do so ..plz help lol

MiasMommy6908

Asked by MiasMommy6908 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well you won't be successful until your daughter is ready and willing, that is the key; so if it doesn't work out then take a break and wait until later
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• well you start by asking the question is my daughter ready to potty train because if she's not then whether you want to train her or not its not going to happen, your going to end up with pee on your carpets and poop smeared on your walls. If you feel your daughter is physically and mentally ready then I found using a sticker chart to be the best route. When first starting my child earned a sticker whenever he tried to go potty, whether he succeeded or not. If he made some type of effort he got a sticker. 10 stickers bought him a prize. As he got better he earned 2 stickers for going potty in the toilet and lost 1 sticker for going in his pants. Finally it ended up we used the sticker chart only for pooping because he had more of an issue with that. Overall it only took 3 weeks and he was completely potty trained. If you find yourself getting frustrated or its a battle with your daughter back off and try again in a month or so
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• keep in mind to be consistent with whatever reward system you decide to do, and let your daughter pick her ending prize (a small toy, a special stay up late movie night, a trip to the zoo) whatever she wants to work towards. Offer lots of encouragement and never make her feel bad for an accident. If she develops anxiety about potty training she may start to hold it and develop a bladder infection or constipation. Explain its ok to have accidents and we;ll try again next time. Also don't ever make her clean up an accident when she's first learning. Sometimes children pee on the floor purposely to make mom or dad mad so having the child help clean up the mess is ok, but i've heard parents say to make a potty training child help clean and thats never a good plan. The child is still learning and its not going to happen over night. Remember patience! Best of luck :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have a 15 months old and an 11 year old. It's been a while since I've done this, but I really think 15 months is too young. Yes, you may be tired of diapers. But a toddler that little probably can't communicate enough or even realize when she has to "go".
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• IF YOUR CHILD IS NOT READY THEN DONT,. CAN SHE TELL YOUWHEN SHE HAS TO GO PEE OR POOP. CAN SHE TAKE OFF HER DIAPER , CAN SHE PULL DOWN HER PANTS. DONT POTTY TRAIN JUST CUZ YOU WNAT HER OUT OF DIAPERS SHE IS TO YOUNG AND IT WILL BE BAD IN THE LONG RUN. IT WILL TAKE LONGER AND WHEN SHE IS OLDER SHE MIGHT REGRESSED. SO IS IT CUZ SHE IS READY OR IS YOU?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I agree I think shes a little young yet. but if you think she ready to learn to go on the potty then go to a toys r us and buy a potty training vedio tape fot toddles. hope this helps good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Most kids sphincters (the part that they use to "hold" the pee) aren't fully developed until around 18 months....and even then is too early for most kids to learn to communicate when they need to go.

I wouldn't really expect to see results this early. Though it is a good time to introduce the potty to your girl. Just let her sit on it for fun and tell her about what it's for.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My little one is also 15 months old... I can't even imagine trying right now... she doesn't say many words very plainly, so she would have a really hard time telling me that she needs to go.... although in preparation for we sit her on the potty when she has her diaper off (like when she's getting into the bath) and sing a short song... she thinks that's funny, just to get her used to the toilet and what it's for.... she also comes into the bathroom with me and giggles when she sees me on the potty!!! It's pretty darn cute... I'm getting really anxious too about starting the whole process....
    leslielynn

Answer by leslielynn at 11:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yeah she says when she goes and takes her pants and diaper off already
    MiasMommy6908

Answer by MiasMommy6908 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Start by putting on potty for a couple days when you go potty then start taking off pants then go off tthe cues your child gives you
    olyviasmomplus1

Answer by olyviasmomplus1 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009