My son is only 19 months old and crawling out of his crib what should I do?

Is there anything I can do? is it something he just needs to learn is wrong, we live in a 2 story building, we don't have a gate for the top of the stairs and I don't want him roaming the house or waking us up in the middle of the night. It just started today with his nap he's never done it before. But every time I put him back he 2 min later he'd be out. He mastered it in one try. Does that mean he is ready for a big boy bed?

sdierker

Asked by sdierker at 3:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he could be ready for a big boy bed, but if you yourself are not ready they sell a netted mesh tent that you place over a chils crib to keep them from crawling out. There's no way for the child to hang themselves, or become strangled in it, its just a mesh tent you place over the top. The child can see through it so its not scary but now they can no longer crawl out of their crib. My son was doing that at 15 months, he could barely walk but could get out of his crib. However at 15 months I was not ready to place him in a bed, so I bought that tent and then got him a big boy bed for his 2nd birthday. I've seen the tent at babies r us and target but i'm sure its sold almost anywhere.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Put a gate across his door so that he can't leave his room. It would be for his safety.

Answer by Bmat at 3:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i agree, also I do think he is ready for a toddler bed.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• He is probably ready for a big boy bed. My son did the same thing and I ended up putting him in a bed. He did really well with the bed and he never really got out to much. I also agree that you should probably think about getting a gate.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My sister had this problem and instead of jumping to a toddler bed she purchased a crib tent. I think she purchased it from Baby's R US I tried to find it online for you and didn't see it there. There is a place I found for you called securebaby.com you can at least look at them. Good Luck!
    jpal0507

Answer by jpal0507 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2009