Would you be a surrogate to get out of debt?

There was a woman on Dr Phil wanting to be a surrogate to get $30,000 to pay off some of their debt. I actually know someone in real life who did this and ended up having twins, and was miserable during the pregnancy but had healthy babies and paid off a lot of debt. My mom and I have very different opinions on this. So what do you think? Is it ok? Would you do it?

Cass052005

Asked by Cass052005 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would do it for someone, not just for money, but because i have a close friend who has had many miscarriages and i see the pain she's been in and know how bad she wants a child of her own. It would be worth it for me just to help someone
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No. I wouldn't sell a baby to get out of debt. And that is what you are doing. And yeah yeah you can say you are being "compensated" for your "services" but that's a load of bs as far as I see it. Your creating a life where there was none, bringing it into the world then accepting a large sum for doing so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't think I could do it! I bonded so much with both my babies when I was pregnant that I don't think I could emotionally handle being a surrogate. I praise those who can, but I don't think I personally could handle it. Though I have toyed with donating eggs. Maybe not for money being a priority, but for helping someone who can not get pregnant on their own, but money would be a perk!
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• But I thought you couldn't buy happiness ANON 3:40?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I wanted to be a surrogate, DH is freaked out about me carrying someone else child. But I wasnt going to do it for the money, yes the money is nice but that isnt the ONLY reason to do it. I think if a couple wants a child they should be able to have one anyway possible. But since DH doesnt want me to carry other people's children, when him and I are done having kids of own I am going to donate my eggs so another woman can feel the joys of pregnancy for herself and have a child.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was going to do this for my sister. I would have refused to accept money from her if she would have offered but we decided not to go through with it anyways. We are still talking however, about me donating eggs to her, we're just waiting on the Dr.s confirmation of what he thinks is going on with her body.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yup, if its not my eggs, but someone eless planted in me who cant carry their own
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I know a guy who is gay who really wants a kid and he is offering quite a bit to get it. I really thought about the idea, but he didn't like my stipulation, if he is using my egg to do it, my parents have a right to see their grandchild.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I've given long and hard thought into selling my EGGS though. When I first heard of it I thought it sounded crummy to be paid for them but then again, women wanting to get pregnant pay for them so why shouldn't I get paid for them since they are my eggs.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Ok seriously being a surrogate is not selling a baby if you look at it its selling your body. THe baby is placed in you fro mthe mommy and daddy not you so its not like your selling it. And the joy of giving someone a baby is good but if you can help yourself out of debt then why not your helping them and yourself how is that a bad thing.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 3:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009