• In the Spotlight:

Did you know this about public housing?

That they cannot run a home business out of their apartment. My next door neighbor wants to work as an independent cab driver, but cannot because he lives in public housing. I also found out that I cannot get a home daycare license while living in public housing nor can I sell, make, or store merchandise to sell at a flea market, for example, crafts, home decor or make clothes for others. We also found out that my husband cannot work as an independent contractor for that very reason. Also, a person living in public housing cannot have a savings account worth more than $1000. So if they want to save up for a down payment on a house they cannot. Same thing goes if they want to save up for a car. Most of the people who live in our housing complex work or go to school due to the fact that they were laid off. So next time you think about welfare reform, maybe we should look at the rules that keep some people from leaving it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They shouldn't restrict people from working at all!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• That's not true, at least in the state of NC. There is a special program for low income people (including those in govt housing) where they put aside money for a down payment and the state matches, yes matches, that money up to a certain amount. It can only be used for a down payment, not for any other expenses.

Answer by missanc at 3:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I know I could see if they had a grocery store in their living room or a sweat shop in a bedroom. But home daycare's or independent contractors, that is just ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Wow, here in Ohio there is no such program. That would be wonderful if they did. My husband and I moved into public housing after we both were laid off and we asked, because we moved here from Florida to buy a house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'm sure it differs from state to state.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Not at all like that in my state. Where do you live OP?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• They like to keep the poor people poor.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 4:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No Yoshi that's what the liberal agenda does
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When they government keeps poor people poor they keep control over them, basically the government has them right where they want them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yep. and cut funding to the schools in low income areas..can't have those poor folks getting an decent education. Who would the rich folk get to clean their houses ? OMG!What if the guy down the street got an education ,he might *gasp* get uppity and think he's as good as I am.Can't have that. We have to have poor folk so the well off and the snobs have some look to down on.
    What I have is worth less if you've got it too.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Sep. 12, 2009