Low milk supply

How can i boost my milk supply? im in school mon-thurs 5 hrs a day...and i have an electric pump i use whenever my 5 mo old wont latch. my supply decreased a lot since i started school. my son gets so frustrated when he latches that he will latch for a few mins, sometimes only secs, at a time. is there anything else i can do to boost my supply to where it was?? i cant afford formula & would prefer to give him breast milk whether he latches or gets it in a bottle. Help!

Ness87

Asked by Ness87 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • Try pumping until you letdown before you get him to latch so it's there right away and he doesn't get frustrated. You could also try getting him to latch on one side and pumping the other side to help letdown happen faster. Nurse him as often as possible, drink lots of water, eat oatmeal. Those things helped with my middle son while I was pumping half the time because I worked then.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Drink lots of water and nurse whenever you can.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 3:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When my son was born I wasn't producing enough milk for him and I used a supplementer. It's a tube that attaches to your breast and at the end there is a "cup" where you put in formula. So your breasts are getting the stimulation they need to produce more milk, but your son is willing to stay latched on because he's getting something. It would involve using formula for a short period of time, but would save money in the long run after you up your supply.
    I would suggest you call your local hospital to speak with a lactation consultant about a supplementer, or call the local La Leche League.

Answer by missanc at 3:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• There's a tea called Mother's Milk that you can get that is all-natural and will increase your milk supply. You can probably find it in healthfood stores, or your local La Leche League may be able to point you in the right direction. You could probably even find it online.
    Good luck!!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 4:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I recently have tried an all natural tea to help boost milk supply and I think it works fairly well as long as I drink a cup right away in the morning and continue throughout the day 2-3 more times. The brand I have is Yogi Nursing Support...there are several others and you can get them at all natural food stores. Just search for anything with fenugreek in it. I also HIGHLY suggest calling your local hospital to talk to a lactation consultant or the local La Leche League. If you're really committed to breastfeeding exclusively, both of those contacts will be committed to making sure they can help you reach that goal.
    MomofGweneviere

Answer by MomofGweneviere at 10:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2009