Question about vision test results

My son had his 4 year well child check up today and they did the vision test (holding up the card and asking him what shape it is) He got a few of the small ones wrong, he thought they were circles (one was a circle, but the other two were a house and a star)
Well back to the point...they wrote on his chart that he has 20/25 vision...I know that 20/20 is "perfect" but what would 20/25 mean?

Domzmom2005

Asked by Domzmom2005 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Health

• ooo im not a dr obviously but i think its just that his right side is just off a little......which way i'm not sure (wow i sound confident huh? lol) anyway the reason i mostly wanted to answer is if for some reason he has to get glasses theres a site called zinnyoptical.com they have glasses cheap if you have to get them its like $12 for frames AND lenses. my younger brother has used them, and there not poor quality either
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'm not a dr, but I've been wearing glasses/contacts for years and I worked for an optometrist for a short period of time - 20/25 means he has a small difficulty seeing far away, but it could be due to nearsightedness, or possibly astigmatism. My 10 yo has a similar prescription and when we went to the opthamologist at 5 they recommended no glasses until 2nd grade. At 7 (2nd grade) they did recommend glasses for when he needs to see something far away, but not for all day because his eyes would learn to "depend" on the glasses. At 4 they may not recommend glasses at all, since there's really no important school work going on.

Answer by missanc at 4:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Thanks for the answers ladies!
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Was he 20/25 in one eye or in both?

Talk to the opthamologist and ask him. He did the test, he should have answered your questions and told you what was going on.

20/25 in general just means his vision in that particular eye is a little "off" He won't need correction at that number, though.

I have one son with 20/50 in both eyes. He's farsighted but not to the point where they feel it needs corrected just yet. Possibly once he's in school, but not right now. (I have two others in glasses)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Whoops, sorry I meant to put that he is 20/25 in both eyes.
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009