Is it normal for a 14 month old to use fewer words than they did a month ago?

I mean, I know it can be a cause for concern, but is it always? Could it be a relatively normal stage of development for some children?

My DD is still using some words and seems to understand well, but is actually using fewer words.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no
    talk to the doc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It depends. Will she speak as she did with prompting or does she just refuse and kind of shut down so she doesn't have to speak?

If she will still speak with prompting....she may be getting ready to either hit another milestone or she's going to learn a new skill.

If not...it's not normal and you should speak to your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i do not know if it is 'normal' but my daughter is like this
    at nine months she looked in the mirror and said her name, she has not said it since
    at one and ahalf, dad sneezed she said clear as day God Bless You, not since
    she will not repeat anything you ask her to, she just does not play the "can You say ____"
    she babbles like there is no tomorrow, has very good reflection in your conversations but she just does not repeat words except the standard ones she needs
    like she thinks if she said it once why have to say it ever again

i too was worried and my husband said a very kind and sweet thing, he reassured me that she is quite normal and to enjoy the babble time, it will not last forever, it is cute, and soon she sill be talking back, not just talking

just my opinion, but i am far from a speech therapist, so take my answer with that in mind
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If she was repeatedly using certain words and now won't say them even with prompting, I'd keep an eye on it. Also keep track of whether she's using new words. Worst case, I'd mention it at her 15 month checkup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Worst case, you need to mention it NOW. Early intervention is the key, not a "wait and see" attitude".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It depends, if she's not using old words but is learning new ones then its not really a concerning issue. However, say for example she was using 50 words on a daily basis for at least a period of a month, and now all of a sudden in the last month you've only heard 25 words that may be reason for concern. Its not how many words she's not using, its how long. 1 week i'd call it a stage and say leave her alone. She's been progressively using less and less words as she's getting older, thats not good. If you're concerned you can always call the dr. and ask, but try not to freak out, children go through weird phases and everyone now a days is quick to try and diagnose every little thing. Start documenting how many different words you hear each day and if you notice its drastically decreasing raise a concern with the pediatrician and present your data. Doctors respond better to parents if they come armed with data to back them up.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Is she learning something else new right now?
    My son is 13 months and have found that when he is busy leaning a new skill or something like that he doesn't talk as much.
    For example he just learned a bunch of new words but while he was learning then he didn't do any of the sign language he knows for about 3 weeks. Now that he has mastered his new words he started signing again
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I tend to agree with AmiJanell on this question. I really do.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When kids are learning new things, they tend to not do other things they have already learned. They haven't forgotten it, they are just absorbed in learning something different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't be worried by that alone. If your daughter is displaying other odd behavior, I would definintely be concerned. However, if its just a matter of talking- I agree with some of the PPs- it seems like during growth spurts, they stop doing certain things or do them less frequently. Its like they're using all their energy to figure out something new and then go back to normal. My daughter has started saying "this" and "that" instead of proper titles for objects even when she can say their names. She learned a short cut and its reduced her vocab but she's fine.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009