I'm clueless about girl scouts and my daughter brought home a paper to join can anyone tell me what they do?

My daughter has really wants to join this year and I just want to know what to expect.Thank you to all who help answer this and question.

shannon2206

Asked by shannon2206 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• google girl scouts of america - they have a website full of info. my daughter did it for 2 yrs. it was fun.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 4:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Im a leader for a troup here. Each troop is different because it is based on the leader to organize it. they do all kinds of stuff from crafts, to singing at the nursing home, going on field trips...eventually most troops go camping. I love it, it is fun fo the girls an they love to earn badges. She may learn some cooking, crafting, games, social skills, building self esteem, fishing, boating, making fires....just depends. The girls usually get to vote on activities and help with passing out snacks at meetings...our girls have alot of fun!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Google.

Call your local main office and talk to them. Each district does things a little bit different.

I was in scouting for over 20 years (girl and adult). But that was also in the 70's and 80's. I LOVED it!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• ditto what ria said except i am not a leader, I was a girl scout and loved it, my daughter is old enough now and will be starting this year. It is a wonderful program my son is in cub scouts and I think it helps mold them into responsible people. The Girl scout website has lots of information and your local group should have a registration night where you can go meet the leaders ask question see pictures, look through the books for each level. You could also contact someone locally and ask to attend a meeting just to check it out and see if its something you are interested in letting your child participate in.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was a scout from Brownies to Sr Scout. My sons were in Boys scouts for several years. It was great when I was a kid. It was a lot of a very few parents doing it all when my boys were in scouting. Frankly, now days I have some issues with the way things in scouting are being run in many councils in America. If you choose for your child to pursue scouting please look carefully into your local council , who are their supporters and what 'partnerships' they maintain.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• my daughter did girl scouts and she did arts and crafts went on field trips to crayola factory , went to nursing for christmas to sing for the elderly. they got badges for things that they accomplished they also had to go door to door selling cookies. and more.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Its a group of girls that learn about being a good citizen and doing what is right. they go on field trips like the zoo and raise money with selling cookies in front of the grocery stores and car washes so that they can afford to go on the more expensive field trips, for example, I live in Tampa, Fl. They all want to go to Disney World or Universal Studios which is an hour away. It really depends on how rich the neighborhood is that determines where they go. Its usually one day a week after school that they meet. It is a lot of responsibility on the parent. And you have to buy the uniforms and patches. The troop leaders have to be very committed. find out who the leader is and ask other moms of girl scout how they like that particular troop BEFORE you sign her up.cuz once she is in, it will be hard to take her away from of the friends she has made.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I am a girl scout leader in hampstead and my 12 girls keep busy. we just recently hosted our cookie rally for our county. and they each had a job to do ..we have father/daughter dance coming up..camp in april and tons of other things that all lead to them growing up to be leaders in any thing they choose to undertake. but must say if the leaders arent upbeat and let the girls lead the meeting then the girl is likely to quit.
    troopleaderliz

Answer by troopleaderliz at 2:28 PM on Jan. 16, 2010