Do I have to keep my DH on the car insurance if I move out and take it bc his name is on the loan? I will be paying it, my name is on it too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, the insurance is on the car not the loan

Answer by admckenzie at 4:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• With my insurance company you would. We have a car that my BIL is buying that we have been using and his brother has to be on ours because they are both on the loan. PS his brother doesnt have a license yet either.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 4:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Is the title in his name? Insurance is just that. If you were in an accident, is he "rightful owner" of the car? If there were no insurance they'd go after him in other ways. He may want it simply for a security, even if he paid that part of it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Actually it depends on the state you are in, but they can tell you when you call the insurance company. In my state insurance follows the car, but in some states it follows the person.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009