how can i get crayon out of clothing?

i think there must have been a yellow crayon in my laundry(went through the wash and dry).is there any way to remove it?i know in the past i tried oxyclean but it didn't seem to work!help!some of my best articles of clothing were in there!

ainamama

Asked by ainamama at 4:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Greased Lightning (might take out color, test it first) or Goo Gone from Home Depot.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My sister told me to use WD 40 on the crayon spots by dabbing it on with a sponge and using a paper towel on top of the stain to absorb the color. Let this sit for several minutes. I left it for 15-20 minutes. Then wash the spot using dish washing liquid. I then washed them in the machine (actually, twice) to get the rest of the stain out.

The bright red crayon stains came out of a pale pink sweatshirt that I thought was ruined! Mineral Spirits can also be used in place of the WD 40. The only problem I see with this method is that the smell of the WD40 tends to linger in the clothes but I feel that, with a few washings, it will lose its scent.
    alex

Answer by alex at 6:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Put an iron on the lowest setting. If you have cheesecloth use that if not - papertowels. Put the papertowels on the stain ...and iron over ther papertowels...the heat will make it melt right into the papertowels. Keep checking it and make sure you don't have the papertowels too thick or too thin. Works like a charm - then wash as usual ...maybe some Spray and Wash - for the oils.
    KRL79

Answer by KRL79 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I don't know about crayon specifically, and it seems like the above mamas do, but how about borax? It does almost everything for me. I wonder if soaking the stained areas in hot water and borax would work....unfortunately, no concrete answers for you.
    gorgesgirl

Answer by gorgesgirl at 1:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Okay using a toothpick scrape as much as you can off the clothes. Then put a piece of butcher's paper over the stain and set your iron on medium. Iron it slowly using back and forth motions until it is all out. VOILA! I got wax on my FAVORITE shirt while making scented tarts and that was what worked.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2009