Your opinions, please. - Child molestation...

My DD's fraternal grandfather has 3 kids; a 33 y/o daughter, my honey and a 16 y/o daughter who has Down syndrome. The older daughter recently accused the dad of molesting the younger daughter, who can’t really tell you honestly whether or not it happened. So she was taken away and given to a distant family member, who is NOT capable of taking care of her. The problem is the mom was told the dad would have to leave and she would have to get a restraining order against him to get the younger daughter back, but no one believes that this happened. Long story short, I am worried about allowing my DD (15 months) around him. While I DO NOT think that the allegations are true, could we still get in trouble for allowing our DD to be around an ACCUSED child molester? Please no bashing. And I would NEVER allow her to be alone with him, or both of them for that matter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you truly believe that your sil it's nutso and your fil is okay then I don't see any harm in them seeing your child while being supervised by you 100%.

No one can really speak for you because we don't know you or your fil, but if someone blamed my fil of being a child molester I would more than likely think they were lying. The fil shouldn't be punished just because some lune is making up lies. Sure you can't be 100% sure if they're lies- but you know how you feel and if you feel okay with it then go for it, just make sure there's supervision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Innocent until proven guilty. They can take his daughter, even though they shouldn't be able to, but they can't punish you when he hasn't even been convicted. I don't think so, anyway.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I am a sexual abuse survivor who was not believed when I told. In fact it took 22 years for anyone to listen It wasn't until my sister and a cousin accused the same person that I was believed. I truly believe in 'innocent until proven guilty' in a court of law. You aren't going to court though. Protect your daughter by erring on the side of caution. Once it has happened you can never take it back. Molesters find all kinds of ways to be sneaky.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I guess I could have added a bit more on the situation. The older daughter has 5 kids with 5 dads, restraining orders on all of them, has accused the dad 3 different times of 3 different crimes, and has a restraining order against him, too. None of the other times he has been arrested has he been charged. So, basically she is a trouble maker, which is the biggest reason no one believes her. On top of it, since this has all happend the mom has had limited visitation and recently the younger sister has begun to stay the night every other week. Well the older sister told CPS that the dad was at the house one night when she was there and he is OUT OF TOWN for work, at a conference, where there are dated pictures, reciepts, phone calls from the hotel, etc. The sister is a loon. -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If he is being accused of child molestation he isn't supposed to be around any kids... That includes your child. I know I seem overprotective but even if I had doubts whether it happened or not I wouldn't allow my child around them just for the fact that it is still an accusation that I don't want to risk my child being a part of.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't let my daughter around him...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• PROTECT YOUR CHILD
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 7:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009