What can I do to satisfy my 2 month olds hunger?

My son is 11 weeks old and all he does is eat! He seems to be hungry all the time. My doctor told me to put cereal in his bottle to see if that made a difference. It didn't sure enough in about 3 hours he was hungry again. Is there anything I can do to satisfy his hunger?

Aidensmommy628

Asked by Aidensmommy628 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a growth spurt and it's normal. Your doctor gave you bad advice, evidence shows that cereal in the bottle only increases the risk of diabetes, obesity and eating disorders later in life, and does not lengthen the time between feedings. Just feed on cue and wait it out.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• babies this young NEED to feed every 2 to 3 hours usually. they're building your supply up if you're breastfeeding, and if youre formula feedingthan they are just hungry:) but hes still young and n need of all the food.putting rice cereal in his bottle is not necessary and does not legthen the sleeping hours or length between feedings.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 5:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'd say just feed him on demand. At this young age, nothing more is needed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Feed on demand! I'm a little concerned that your doctor told you to give a 2 month old cereal in a bottle to try satisfy his hunger instead of just feeding the poor kid!!

Cereal is just filling him up right then. Later, he's MORE hungry because he's losing out on precious calories that his breastmilk or formula would normally give him!!

I had a boy taking 8oz every 2 hours. Feed that poor baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• he is SUPPOSED to be hungry every 3 hours! Most babys want to eat every 2-3 hours at this age and somtimes as often as hourly... it's normal and you need to feed your baby. Don't use junk fillers like rice, you are cheating your baby out of what he needs to grow.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Feed on demand & a big shame on your doctor for giving you horrible possibly life altering advice! It is completely normal for baby to feed every 2 hours. Introducing solids at this age is very harmful. It is also inhibiting baby's natural growth schedule. If baby is hungry feed more do not fill baby up with useless calories that could carry life long effects (allergies, obesity, etc.)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I agree with PP's.. I'm a breastfeeder.. but I know that bottlefed babies are supposed to be hungry every 2-3 hours... My baby ate every 30 minutes sometimes and would eat for like an hour when he was having a growth spurt and at first... And you think every 3 hours is bad ??

And, putting cereal in his bottle this early can affect his digestion later in life.. Stop that and just feed him extra formula. If he's hungry every 2 hours, just FEED him. Ask your doctor about the studies correlating early solids and bad digestive issues later in life. If he doesn't know about them, ask him to freshen up his knowledge!

This will pass. You will eventually get sleep. But this is just part of being a new mommy. :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 6:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i say FEED YOUR BABY WHEN HES HUNGRY AND DO NOT PUT CEREAL IN HIS BOTTLE. I DONT BELIEVE A DR WOULD TELL YOU THAT
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 7:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• All babies that young do is eat! He's being completely normal. I would back off the cereal, because the only thing that the cereal does is make him digest his food slower. In fact, he will actually be getting less calories if you put the cereal. Cereal has less calories than formula, and when you put cereal in the bottle you are displacing high calorie, high fat formula with low calorie, no fat cereal.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• thats okay babies are supposed to be fed every 3 to 4 hour . that's what I was told by my doctor.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2009