If sex can cause labor, should we stop til closer to my due date?

Im so confused, I dont want my baby to come too early so should be just stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No. It only helps when your body is ready. We've had sex pretty much every week during my pregnancy and I'm at 37 weeks now.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Sex helps to soften the cervix, orgasm to stimulate contractions, it's true. But it won't send you into labor until your body is ready. Women who continue sexual relations into their last trimester do tend to have their babies earlier... by about 5 days :p So don't worry. The only time you need to be concerned about having sex is if you started having premature contractions and dilating. Before that, sex is a go :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Intersourse can only help induce labor if the cervix is ready. There is no reason to stop having sex unless your Dr. has advised you otherwise.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• *Intercourse
    GrnEyedGrandma

• that would be up to you. Me and my husband stopped having sex when i was a month from my due date so it really is up to you and what you and your husband think is best. Hope that helps
    olafsonmama

Answer by olafsonmama at 5:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• it's not the sex that puts you into labor it's the sperm that softens your cervix but it wont do anything if your body isnt ready
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Only if your doctor tells you to stop! If you have had a problem with preterm contractions, or some other issue which may put you at risk for preterm labor, then your doctor may tell you no sex until after the baby is born. But if you are having a normal, healthy pregnancy, then there really isn't a reason not to have sex. Sex will only put you in labor if your body is ready.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I had sex at 1:00am and ended up going into labor that night! I was 37 weeks pregnant. I had my baby boy 9 days ago today :-)
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 5:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Sex does not cause labor. However semen (actually something in the fluid around the sperm, I cannot remember the name of it right now), can help soften the cervix. This is someting you WANT during labor. Additionally, according to an OBGYN I herd on PregTASTIC podcast, every time you have sex during the last 6 weeks of pregnancy takes 10 min off your labor!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 7:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009