Should she be doing this?

My best friend is only 36 weeks pregnant but she is trying to get herself to go into labor. I've tried telling her that it will come naturally and to just wait for it to happen and that its stupid for her to be trying already. Well she took a bunch of castor oil yesterday and walked a couple times around the block trying to get labor started. She "thought" she was in labor last night and went to the ER and she wasn't dialted at all! This is her first child and Ive been trying to be supportive but now she gets mad when I try and help her out and tell her stuff Ive even googled stuff and looked stuff up online and sent it too her so she wont freak and think she's in labor but she wont listen and thinks she knows everything. Is it bad or harmful to her or the baby to be drinking castor oil or to be trying to get labor to start already?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope, i do not agree with trying to naturally induce labor til you are at least 38 weeks. A 36 weeker could still have under developed lungs so that is a risk that I wouldnt want to take!

But I do not believe that natural inducing labor will work unless your body is ready. So... if her cervix is closed, let her self suffer from diahhrea & vomitting from castor oil, it wont do jack crap!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Castor oil can cause very severe abdominal cramps, but it's not labor contractions; that's why she wasn't dilated or anything. If the baby's ready to come, sometimes it can cause labor contractions as well, but it's not a given. And that's generally how it is with any of the supposed home methods of labor induction: if it's not time, it's not going to happen, no matter what she does. And taking any medicine in large doses can be dangerous, regardless of whether she's pregnant or not, but especially since she is.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No, she shouldn't be doing that. 36 weeks is still premature, gods forbid she have her dates wrong and she's actually 34 weeks or something! Chances are she wont' go into labor, but she should stop trying. She's still too early.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Like someone else said, this is very dangerous. She could have the baby too early and it not be ready(underdeveloped.) Not to mention, what I have come to understand, taking caster oil can not only cause you to have severe cramping and diarrhea, but it can also cause the baby to have a bm in the womb and when it is born it can accidently take a breath of that (mecomium- sp?) Anyway, it happens sometime even if you don't take caster oil, but this can increase the chances. I hope she starts to listen to reason and everything turns out ok.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 5:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• :( definitely not. her baby probably has a whole month left inside.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009