What do you use for a two year old and a 6 month old that have a head cold?

It seems like NOTHING can be used for little people when they're sick - other than infant Tylenol - which does nothing for congestion and sneezing...I found Children's Dimetapp - but it says not for children under 6? Did they go and ban everything? I just want to help my little ones without having to go to the damn Dr. every time one of them gets a sniffle...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I am also going through colds with the change in seasons. I have a 8 month old, an 19 month old and 3 1/2 year old. The infant I use saline drop and the nasal asiprator (she hates it)and tylenol, the oldest two I will be honest I use Triamentic Cold and Flu. I drastically lower the doseage. I give my oldest 3ml and the other like 2ml. My 19 month old is larger for her age and so in the 3 1/2 year old (Looks 5).

It is pretty bad that all cold medicine was banned because of parents that did not use their head and misused or overdosed the medication.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Try to increase their fluids, use a humidifier in the bedroom (cool mist), and use a nasal aspirator. Call the nurse at your doctor's office, because they MIGHT recommend some sort of medication, but I know that most pedis around here do not. And take care of yourself, take your extra Vit C, get some sleep when they are sleeping, etc.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• By the way I only use the medication one, maybe two times daily and only at the worst of the cold. Mostly before bed. My 19 month old wakes up several time a night cause she cannot breath through nose, with a small dose she will sleep all night and can breathe easier. I do not want to sound like a horrible mother and get people grouching at me.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• OP here...I would never be that presumptive ; ) Thanks for the advice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Try Vicks Vapor Rub. put it on at night and wash it off in the morning you can also put it on their feet and put socks over I dont know why it works but it does
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 5:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• You can also get those breatheright nose strips for kids to help with congestion when they're sleeping (also noticed after a couple of times using them at night it seemed to help keep him clearer during the day).
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• baby vics works great. get a humidifier, and use saline solution, it really does work
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 7:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When my DS had his first cold he was just under 2 years old. My Pediatrician told me Triaminic strips. I found them, read the directions, and then cut the strip in half (the dosage was 1 full strip). I was happy to err on the side of caution. I bought the daytime brand, and his cold eased up almost immediately. I still give him the half dosage of the strips when he does need it. Better to ask your pediatrician first though...
    frankiesmom125

Answer by frankiesmom125 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• A GOLDEN CURE!!! I do it for my kids and myself when we have colds, which was very recently. For the 6 month old you can put a sleeper on him/her and put vicks on the feet. That can work. Now for teh golden cure!!! Put a big globule of vicks in a deep dish. BOil some water on teh stove and pour it in. This acts like a vaporizer. I usually run my kids a nice warm bath and place the homemae vaporizer in the bathroom and shut the door while the bath is filling. When you go in the smell of the vicks clears out teh snot in a minute. I would do this every night for a week if it's a really bad cold like my boys had. TRUST ME, this works like a charm!!! Good luck!
    KorisMum

Answer by KorisMum at 2:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009