Is my 2 month old getting enough stimulation during the day?

I'm a first time mom with a 11 week old baby boy and I'm learning everything for the first time. And I'm not sure if my son is getting enough stimulation during the day. I give him tummy time and time on his back with toys. but how do you really know if it's enough. I also hold him alot could i be keeping him from getting stimulation during the day?

Aidensmommy628

Asked by Aidensmommy628 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• No- holding him will not stop him from getting stimulation. He's getting stimulation from you just holding and smiling at him. He's learning interaction. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Babies that young don't need an overwhelming amount of stimulation or they will get overstimulated. Let him be the lead. If he's happy on his tummy then let him play there until he gets fussy, then cuddle for a while, when some toy time. He'll let you know if he's had enough or not enough.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 5:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It sounds like you are doing a great job already. Tummy time is great for stimulation with a coulple of toys nearby. Holding him, making eye contact and talking to him is stimulation too. I believe that is enough for a 2mo. old becuase you don't want to overstimulate a baby that young. He may become anxious or fussy if there is too much stimulation. You are doing all the right things from what is sounds like.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Most babies do a lot of sleeping at 2 months. Relax & enjoy your baby as they grow too quickly. You can not hold them too much as some might tell you.lol
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 6:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• read a book, take him for walks, dance with him to music, listen to music....sounds liek you are doing a great job.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Wear your baby while you do housework, go for walks, etc. Talk to your baby about what you are doing (and why), what you see, what you hear, what you smell, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009