bringing home baby

im going to be having my baby here soon, and i live in colorado so what is the approperate temp the house should be for a newborn. i ask because latley at night i have been hot, so i would turn on our swap cooler (we dont have air conditioning) and it's in our room where the baby will be sleeping, but i think it may be too cold, what is a tempature the house should be at???

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies are more likley to get too hot than too cold. I think if you can sleep comfortably without covers that's a good temp for the baby since it won't have covers at first either.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 5:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well if you keep it on at night becuase you're too hot, then baby may be too hot, too. You may want to give him a bit more clothing (maybe fleece sleepers or something), but still leave it running. Just keep in mind baby doesn't get blankets, so if you would be too cold without blankets then baby probably will too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't think anyone can tell you what the temperature should be in your bedroom dear. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. After I gave birth I was SO hot, it was unbelievable! Noone else was either, just me. If you are worried about her being cold then make sure to dress her appropriately. Check her hands, feet, face, and make sure they aren't cold either. If you mess up and she gets cold, put her up against your body (skin to skin) and she should warm back up in no time. Thats what I did at least. I hope this helps! Good luck and congrats!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• In general a good overnight sleeping temperature is 65 degrees. However, you will be under blankets and baby will not be. So make sure he's wearing long sleeve/long pants sleepers. With baby's it's safer to err on the side of slightly too chilly than too warm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• 1. Feeling extra hot. Totally a pregnancy thing. Growing a baby raises our internal temperature. This will go away once baby is born.

2. If you are comfortable at a certain temperature your baby will be too. They are humans too, they feel and response to temperature the same way we do.

3. Fans or air circulation is good for baby. Studies show that fans (or swamp coolers moving air) decrease the rate of SIDs (the why is still in debate though).
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Keep the temperature where you will normally have it. The general rule of thumb is to put one more layer on the baby than what you are wearing. The baby will let you know if it is too hot or too cold.

Studies do not show that fans decrease the rate of SIDS. It is thought that air circulation MIGHT reduce the risk. A far cry from actually decreasing the rate of SIDS deaths!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• jusy use your best judgemant, you will know if the baby is too hot or too cold
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 7:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When we left the Hospital (in Indiana) they gave us a binder full of info and tips for bringing home baby and there was a paper that said the best temps for a baby is between 68 and 72....but like everyone else said dress baby warm and I am sure when you all get home your mommy instinct will kick in and you will just know what is right for you and your new bundle of joy!
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2009