What are your feelings on this? Fair or unfair?

18 year old girl, just found out she's a hermaphrodite in front of the whole world, and now they want to take away her medals and never let her run track again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Semenya-withdraws-from-race-amidst-reports-she-s?urn=oly,188930

tiny_mama

Asked by tiny_mama at 5:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Let me say this, I saw a woman who had this very problem. She was born with a vagina, if I can say that.  At the age 6 that, I don't remember what happened, but she had to get surgery for something. She totally looked like a little girl, there was NO POSIBILITY that she was a boy. Well when she went into surgery, they discovered she had no uterus and that in place of where her ovaries should have been she had testis. Even her DNA said she was a male. But at pubertystage, she had developed breasts. So her body is confused of whether or not she is male or female.  Her parents of course raised her as a female cause that is what she was.  She naturally looks like a female, she has no other male characteristics, other than those things I mentioned above.  These things are not black and white.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 7:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• tiny_mama

Answer by tiny_mama at 5:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I read about that. I think it's bullshit. She can't help how she was born.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think they outta leave her alone. She won the medals fair and square and did so by the rules. Just because her DNA says something different from how she was raised doesnt mean squat.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I read this last night in the news, I feel horrid for this girl who had this put out so publicly, I understand they thought there was drug use but why didn't they keep all of this quiet? What I read last night said if the test showed it was testosterone that gave her an advantage they wouldn't take the medals because she in no way cheated. she was just born with an advantage over other women. Lets hope they let her keep the medals.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The issue wasn't her "choice". She didn't change sex, add a sex, or deliberately done anything to influence her ability as far as I have heard. It is unfortunate she is in a high profile competitive activity that handles losses this way.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Forgot to mention the article I read also mentioned they did a pelvic exam on her! How invasive and rude is that! I would have gone ballistic on someone, this woman has some amazing patience with these people.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• She is a HE
    S/he doesnt have both organs s/he has no uterus or ovaries meaning she is a he!!
    So no s/he shouldnt run for the WOMENS teams
    It said so in that exact article that s/he had no female organs
    Sex change doesnt make it right to run for womens teams
    Should had thought about that before trying to become a woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The person in question has testes but no uterus. That is not a woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• erday, unsubstantiated reports from Australia and England said that Semenya's tests showed that she has no womb or ovaries and produces testosterone levels three times higher than a normal woman.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2009