Do police officers have a right to question a child without a parent there?

They were doing an investigation and my daughter is 12 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depends on why and what they were questioning her about.

If it was because of an incident she witnessed then yea they can ... If they were questioning her over something she did that's a touchy situation and there are very thin lines about what is legal/illegal when questioning a minor.

Call your local police dept. and ask them.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Is there a website where I can look it up?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'm not sure, you could try googling the information.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I agree with the first post. If she witnessed an accident or something they can ask her but if this is a more serious matter concerning something else she should be offered to have a parent or guarian available...or a lawyer if need be.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• CYS will queston a child, without parent's permission.
    monijane

Answer by monijane at 8:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think it depends on the crime and situation. Along with the mentality of the child. Although I am not a lawyer so do not know for sure. You can get on LawGuru and see but they sometimes take days to get back to your question. You can search their data base for old ???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It all depends on the situation and how much the child is involved in the manner. If an office is questioning a child, there should be 2 officers there at all times and 1 should be the same sex as the child. Call your police department and ask them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would google it ...I think it varies by state but I live in NY and my little brother and his friends got caught breaking into an empty building (not really BREAKING in, just entering) and the police did nothing but tell them he was taking them home, and then spoke to them in the presence of my parents
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I know Child Protective Services can speak to them with out a parent present, but I'm pretty sure that police officers have to question children in their parents presence.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:03 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• NO they dont. You have every right to be there and she has the right to remain silent till you and her attorney are present.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009