How long would you wait if you lost your job before you applied for min wage job?

If you are working a professional job and get laid off, how long would you look for other professional jobs before you started applying for minumim wage jobs. I have a friend who refuses to because its demeaning and apparently unemployment pays more than he would make from one.

auroura

Asked by auroura at 6:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• a job is a job, i'd be happy as long as i was getting a paycheck.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My husband would apply for any and every job he found immediately.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would be looking asap, even min wage jobs are hard to get these days. My neighbor had the same attitude back in March , she now has her car for sale & doesn't have rent for October, min wage job would have covered her rent...
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 6:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• demeaning? are you f*ing serious? tell him to swallow his pride, it's better than not having a job at all. people who think they are better than someone just b/c they get paid more don't deserve to have a job, he sounds like a real douche bag.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would hold out until I found a job that could completely cover my living expenses. A minimum wage job wouldn't cut it for me. If he can cover his bills with the unemployment insurance, then why should he accept a lower-wage job?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Try this instead!

HI,
    I'm happily engaged and we are about to buy our first home. We live in a small town where it is really hard to find a decent job, so I've been searching for a way to work at home. I recently found a home-based opportunity with no large investments and no risk! I work in the comfort of my own home with an international, 24 year old, Inc 500 company. All I do is set up customer accounts and do some online marketing. I work around my own schedule, with a group of amazing team members. I never even have to leave my own home to be successful!

If this is something you'd be interested in, please visit my website.

www.workathomeunited.com/lynsey

I think that once you hear more information about the company, you'll love it just as much as I do!

I hope to hear from you soon :)
    lynsey7

Answer by lynsey7 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'd keep looking until just before unemployment ran out.

It just doesn't make financial sense to take a job that pays less than unemployment if you don't HAVE to. Has NOTHING to do with pride and everything to do with practicality. I still have bills to pay, and it makes NO sense to put myself in a position to not be able to pay them just so I can say I AM working and off unemployment.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't take a job paying less than unemployment unless my unemployment was running out.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I am on unemployment and am not applying for any job right now that pays less than what I make on unemployment. It wouldn't make sense to.

I am looking around at what kind of jobs I could do when and if unemployment runs out. I would go and work at the local grocery store if I could, but I am not sure how long I would last before I would have to stop working as I have arthritis in my feet.

I am currently working 2 home businesses whilst looking for a position that pays up to half what I was making before. Those jobs just don't exist around here right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Hi There! My name is Megan. I had my daughter in March of 2009 and immediatly knew that I wanted to be home with her as much as possible. I looked for a while for a way to earn a reliable income from home. Some of the things I found were scams, others were not what they promised to be. I recently found a wonderful 24 year old, BBB and inc 500 company. This company is rock solid and that is why I want to share it with you. If you are like me and need to stay at home but also need to earn a great income, with a legit company then please visit my website
    www.workathomeunited.com/meganhoehn

I will be happy to share with you more FREE information. This just might be what you have been looking for too!

- Megan
    meg424@rocketmail.com
    MeganHoehn

Answer by MeganHoehn at 12:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009