Why are so many women against c sections?

I understand that c sections shouldn't be elective...or in my opinion, they shouldn't be, at least. However, I recently asked a question about the healing of a c section, and instead of any sort of help or answers, I received lectures on why I SHOULDN'T be having one. I know that c sections are used too commonly in the United States when they aren't necessary, but I have a genuine medical reason for having one, and don't think I deserved a lecture or to have my Dr.'s knowledge questioned by women who are NOT Dr.'s. My question is...my are so many women so judgmental when it comes to this, and why was I treated like less of a mother because I have to have one? I simply deleted the question after the responses.

I would like to add...not only did they offer no help or advice...one mom actually tried to scare me by telling me that I could very well hemorrhage and that I should challenge my Dr. and ask for a vaginal birth.

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• "Doctors are surgeons" but then what are midwifes? They are the extreme opposite of doctors these days. There needs to be a middle ground someone out there. Instead of suggesting a mother to get a second opinion from a midwife- I would say get a second opinion from another doctor or two because we know what a midwife is going to say.

As for the OP, if you trust your dr. and trust your instincts then I don't see why you would need a second opinion. My doctor once told me that his goal was to put as few stitches in me as possible- meaning his goal was to not only try to keep me from tearing (or episiotomy) but also to keep me from a c section, so if he were to tell me I needed one I would trust him (along with my own instinct of course).

And seriously, how is a transverse baby supposed to make it's way down the birthing canal? I don't see how someone would think that was safe at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't know if this is the reason or not but it's what I thought as soon as I read what you put. Maybe because of Dr.s doing c-sections on such a regular basis and some without just cause that they wanted you to know that maybe someone else would think diffrently. Maybe with another Dr. they would say you didn't need a c section. Recently I've met alot of women who were given c sections without it being medically necessary so maybe they are warning you by their own experiences.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• And I'm not justifying anyone being MEAN to you. It sounds to me like you were treated like crap and thats ridiculous. It doesn't matter if your reasons are medical or not, it's your body and you asked for help not a bashing session by people against c sections. I'm sorry that happened to you sweets!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well I think it's really unfortunate that no one offered you any real help. I hope that you were able to find the answers you were looking for and that your c-section is a safe one. I believe that many women get up tight about C-sections because so many women are promoting it as something it is not.

A lot of women do not realise how dangerous they can be, or what short or long term effects that they can have. A lot of women do not even CARE what effects their baby could wind up with. And unfortunalty a lot of current mothers put aside the health of their child for an elective C-section for their own comfort and gain.
    Many mothers (whether it is their business or not) cae about the health and welfare of others, most specifically children. Their reaction to your C-section can be their chance to 'help' you or your unborn child out. And, as always...some people just want to feel superior. Hope that helps!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I understand Katrina, and you're probably correct, but I explained my reason in the post I was referring to and that made no difference to anyone. My baby is in a transverse breech position, meaning he is sideways. It's unlikely he'll turn, as he is already estimated at over 7 lbs and my placenta is in the front, which also complicates the turning. The Dr. is constantly monitoring the position and I'll be having an ultrasound right before the surgery to make sure he hasn't turned, in which case I'd have a vaginal birth. A transverse breech only occurs in about 1 out of every 2500 babies, and it's almost impossible to birth them vaginally, and if I attempted it, the baby may very well not survive the attempt. That is something neither I nor my Dr. are willing to risk.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think this falls under the category of "those who know better than you" the breastfeeding nazi's, the home birth obsessives, ect. There is a problem with too many csections, but its still a personal choice. I was up and about 3 days after, and really wasn't in THAT much pain. I followed most of the restrictions but not all of them (I drove that first week, doc said not for two weeks,ect) The one thing I can tell you though, is if ANYTHING doesnt look right, call your ob to have them look at it. I popped a stitch towards the end and by the time the doc looked at it, it had scared more than it should have. I had to have one, or be in the hospital till I went into labor, I had already been there three days and wanted to go home.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Thanks Katrina and Ethans momma! :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Oh, and thanks auroura, all of you are being much more helpful and friendly than the moms on my last post about this, lol!
    StefanieN84

• "A lot of women do not realise how dangerous they can be, or what short or long term effects that they can have. A lot of women do not even CARE what effects their baby could wind up with. And unfortunalty a lot of current mothers put aside the health of their child for an elective C-section for their own comfort and gain."

I don't understand why any woman would think that a c section would offer more comfort or gain. I think the opposite. I don't want a major abdominal surgery, but in my case, it's safer for my child and the risks are greater if I attempted a vaginal birth.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• to me is cause it limits the number of children that you can have. it used to not be true but drs are getting anal now and fear law suits and such. i think they say it's only safe to have 2 and most won't let you do vbac after you had 2 c-sections. to me i didn't like the experience of the birthing process. you don't see the birth your stuck behind a sheet just numb. i have to travel 45 miles to get to my dr cause all the drs out here consider me high risk cause i have had 2 csections but i have also had 4 vbacs since then. with my last baby being 9'3. good thing back in the day they let me do the vbacs or esle i would of only had 2 babies.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009