Maybe I'm the only stupid one out there, but what is wrong with having a c-section?

Someone else posted a question about it, and I guess I don't understand. What is wrong with having a c-section? I don't see anything wrong with someone opting to have one, either. I mean, I didn't, but if someone wants to have one, why it that a bad thing? Seriously, I have been reading and re-reading the question and trying to figure out why it is bad??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• So, basically the consensus is that it is not safe, so women should not elect to do them.
    :-) And you're not stupid.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well. I want to start off by saying you are NOT stupid.
    A c-section can be a tricky topic... just like with anything on here. :] Everyone has their own opinions.
    Me personally? I think having a c-section is strictly a personal matter or an unavoidable situation.
    I had one, unavoidable. Emergency c-sect due to preterm. Another friend had one because she just preferred it. She scheduled one.
    C-sections are a surgery, and the recovery time is longer. And there can be side affects as well. But.. overall, I don't think it's really anyone else's business but the mother on whether they want to have one.. or at least listen to WHY they had one instead of judging. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Oh, and I know many people view it as not actually "giving birth to their child" but... again, under the circumstances, maybe they couldn't give birth naturally. Maybe they'd tried, and was in labor way too long after the water had broken, and now it was just a health risk for momma and baby.

Regardless... unless the a baby just miraculously popped into your belly, ready for delivery... I think we've all given birth to our children - just in different forms.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• longer recovery, major surgery so complications, extreme after pain for mommy is my guess
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• There can be alot of things that go wrong
    Increase chance of infection longer heal time
    Risks for being pregnant again.
    It should only be used as a last resort and 100% needed
    not just because you want to
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• it' more risker then whats natural to do which is vaginal birth. i have had both done. i wouldn't do a csection again if i didn't have too. plus it limits the number of children you can have now days. it wasn't true before but it is now.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well, LOL, ok, so I am not THAT stupid, I know that it is surgery and that it is painful, etc. but if it needs to be done, why in the world does it turn into a debate? I haven't seen one VALID post against it. Like I said, I guess I just don't understand...
    -op
    Anonymous

• Ive also known women that have had to have their uterus removed because or bleeding the drs couldnt stop.
    Anonymous

• The risks for mom and baby are higher with c/s, there are greater chances of complications with a c/s than with a vaginal birth. I'm not against them, I don't think they are wrong and I know that sometimes they are necessary. I've had one myself, but I do think that too many are done for non-medical reasons.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it either. And so many women did not have a choice in the matter. I haven't heard of a c-section yet that has caused anybody any harm. Sure, baby birthing is risky all the way around. But it could save your life and the life of the baby if there are difficulties with the birth.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 6:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009