Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you confront a friend if she yelled at her kids to much?

If one of your friends or a neighbor wsa constantly yelling or screaming at her kids would you say something or call the cops? I have a neighbor who yells so loudly at her children you can hear it through the wall and over the tv in our house. (we live in town homes). What would you do if you heard someone yelling non stop at her kids?


Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • I'd knock on the wall each time. If she asked why tell her that her yelling was interupting your tv. Maybe she'll get the message.

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • If she's a friend then yeah I'd tell her to cool it before someone calls cps on her

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • I would for sure talk to her. Maybe she has just been stressed and doesn't realize that she is being so loud.

    Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • call cps if you don't know her that well, she might be abusing them

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • If it was a friend, i might bring it up in a nonconfrontational manner, something like "Hey I could hear you yelling at the kids last night. They must have done something really bad for you to be shouting at them like that!" Maybe she'll realize what ever they did is not that bad and how loud she is if people can hear her through walls.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • Maybe she is tire,and just maybe she have 2-3 small kids closed in age, I love anon6:35 answer,if, you are a friend,just bring it up in coversation,ask her do she need help or ask her is she under stress, but, I don't see myself calling the police or Child Services for this,now ,if you hear her yelling, and hits and kids yelling,that's different.

    Answer by lady-t3984 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • Who are you to say she's yelling "too much"?

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • No I wouldn't call cps. I might file a noise complaint with the cops if she was waking my DD or me up, but I wouldn't call cps unless I had proof the kids were being abused.

    Answer by epoh at 7:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • to the mother who asked who am I to say she yells to much, I am her neighbor and used to be friend, and I hear her scream and yell at her kids from sunrise to sunset. And its not just yelling its screaming at them and cussing at them. Also for her to scream at them with her windows open and then saying she is done with them and putting them outside at 10 pm one night I think I have the right to say she is yelling to loudly. Who are you to judge me? Its funny how you can ask a simple question and get a rude answer. I can see you lady probably dont care about child safety. Youre dumb and make me mad go away no wonder you answered anonymously.

    Answer by sedelagarza at 8:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • Uh... I wouldn't do anything, she has the right to yell at her children, maybe you don't know her situation.

    If the yelling bothers you then go over there and say that you can hear her yelling and it would be nice if she could keep it down, maybe she doesn't know that she's being that loud. Maybe she has to yell over the tv because one of her children keeps turning it up instead of listening to her- you never know. I would never call the cops on another mom just for yelling.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009