How do I stop my 5 yr old from being so touchy?

My son just started K on Wednesday. Today when I picked him up the teacher told me he's been in trouble a few times for being overly touchy. He hasn't touched anyone inappropriately, he's just a huggy type child. He's always been overly touchy. Even when he gets shots at his dr appts he gives the nurses hugs. How do I stop him from doing it? I've tried to tell him about people's personal space and the bubble...he just gets excited and wants to hug everyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, i have no idea. I taught my kids not to talk to strangers and they dont do stuff like that.
    PreciousHead

Answer by PreciousHead at 10:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• thats so cute! I promise you its a stage. My son did the same thing. Its kind of an insecurity thing. Think about it, when your child is under stress or dealing with something new you comfort him by holding his hand or hugging and even kisses, right? Well basically he is trying to comfort himself at school bc you arent there. my son also would cry like a friggen drama queen at the slightest bump or scrape. We just had to directly tell him that he has too take deep breaths and be a big boy. Also we put him in karate classes and he learn about self control and keeping his hands to himself. Please dont feel bad about it and dont let the teachers make a big deal out of it either.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Make sure he understands that he must ask first. Mine was the same and for the first month he had to hug every child goodbye at the end of the day. He finally got past it on his own. The best way though for now is for him to be sure that it is okay with the other person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• "Been in trouble for being overly touchy"??? From hugging too much? I would ask the teacher for more info and clarification on this and why being huggy is a problem. Are the other kids freaking out? Does your school have the "you can't touch someone for fear of being slapped with a law suit" attitude? Jeesh. Both my kids are huggers and have never been reprimanded for it. I would hate to see his loving spirit squashed!
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 9:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2009