What could cause my 4yr old son to have dark circles under his eyes?

He gets plenty of sleep at night,so i know it can't be that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Allergies
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• ditto: allergies
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• OP- Thanks for your replies.I didn't know allergies could do that:)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It's called an allergic shiner---no joke!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Allergies. They are called allergic shiners. Any kid that has allergies bad enough to have shiners should see an allergist and be tested as well as examined for asthma.

I've had allergic shiners my whole life. I now take allergy shots once a week.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• allergies or dehydration could be the causes.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 7:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I agree with JoyandLove
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Actually, there are lots of things that can cause those dark circles...Most were mentioned, but there are two that were not that you might want to consider.

1) Poor sleep, not lack of sleep - there's a difference. You can get what appear to be a good night's sleep, but if you have even mild sleep apnea or if you don't stay in REM sleep long enough or if you partially, but don't fully wake up during the night, your sleep cycle will be disrupted even if you "stayed asleep" the whole night.

2) If your child is fair-skinned it might just be his veins showing through. The skin under the eyes is very thin, and if you have very light colored skin, it can look like you are bruised all of the time and it tends to look worse as you get older.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• allergies. I have them too. I always thought it was from poor sleep habits, but my doc said it's a classic sign of allergies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yeah allergies and also asthma.am asthamtic and so ismy dd and both of us look like someone give us black eyes lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009