Sleepwalking

My 4yr old has started sleep walking and im soo stressed about it i dont know what to do lastnight she unlocked the front door :( im scared she will go out in the night omg what do i do

MizzDomino

Asked by MizzDomino at 8:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First it is pretty normal. I have one sleepwalker. He is now 23 on the 30th. We put a flip security lock on the entry doors up high. My son DID walk out the door at 3am and down to my7 friends house. Big things to remember NEVER ever startle a sleepwalker. speak quietly and gently. Usually you can lead them back to bed. My son sleptwalked without rhyme or reason until a teen. Then it really slowed down but always got worse when he was really stressed. In fact that is still true today. Remove fall hazards from her room. I know a Mom who got a baby monitor just sop she could hear of she got up.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Dont know what to tell you; but this i do know dont wake up someone who sleep walks. They can hurt themself being frieghten like that.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have a chain on my door that I keep locked up at night and on my slider I have a lock too so my son cannot get out even if he wanted too because he is too short to reach.
    asilva8305

Answer by asilva8305 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was coming back to your question and my husband walked in. He told me to remind you of something I had forgotten to mention..well two actually. Startling a sleepwalker can (not always) induce a seizure. We unknowingly did this to my son once. He was 4 and we thought he was just up sneaking around. My husband raised his voice loud and firm. Talk about scarey. No long term effects though. Secondly sometimes sleepwalkers have other sleep related disorders too. Often developing after initial sleepwalking. Our son developed NS-RED as a teen. That is Nocturnal Sleep Releated Eating Disorder. He would get up and eat..and I mean weird stuff. I've seen him dip a spoon into peanut buter then into a coffee can. Baking cocoa..just gross stuff. He eventually was treated with merds and ways to reduce his stress level.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009