Did your children's schools talk about the events of 9/11?

I was just watching some news coverage with my child and he was asking me questions about what the news was about. I asked him if there was any discussion about the events of 9/11 eight years ago today and he said no. I am just a little surprised. I know 8 years isn't that long ago in terms of history, but it certainly was a life changing event that changed the shape of our nation. Should they teach children about 9/11, or do you think that like sex ed, this is a parent's responsibility?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The elementary school and the high school had a ceremony.

My son who is in JRROTC was part of the ceremony

Here are some pic's

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yes, my son came home and told me all about it. The program was presented by soldiers.
    Luvnmifamily

Answer by Luvnmifamily at 8:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Hmmm....my girls didn't tell me anything about it. I may ask them later...
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 8:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My girls said no. Thats really sad! I think they should talk about pearl harbor too!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My kids didn't- however I'm Canadian so it was not a direct attack on our nation.
    Personally I would rather they didn't discuss it in the early grades (my kids are grade two and kindergarden.) It's something I would rather talk to my kids about myself. I have one child who is really fearful of fires/accidents and things like that and I would rather her be a bit older before I discuss any real world catastrophes because she quite literally loses sleep over them. I don't see anything wrong with taking a day to be proud of America or to thank veterans for their service and sacrifice, but I would rather the school not tell my kids the details of the crueler and nastier aspects of history at an early age. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I home school. We discussed the event and watched the news about it. It has changed the lives of Americans forever. I also believe it is important to never forget. It is as important as Pearl Harbor.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Our school participated in an annual "Freedom Walk" hosted by the city and local veteran groups. three  spoke(one from WWII, Iraq/Afghanistan, and Vietnam) as did Congressman Costa. We also heard from the widow of a "local soldier" who was lost at the Pentagon. It was very solemn and my 8th graders were so respectful and thoughtful. I am very proud of them and can't brag on them enough today. I have been close to or in tears all day today. My husband lost three friends (all at the Pentagon) and I lost a good childhood friend. I also make it a point to discuss and remember Pearl Harbor--my grandfather was on the West Virginia that fateful morning. There are many heroes we need to keep in our hearts and memories. God bless those who have gone before us so we can go on.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 8:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• A little.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My daughters class talked about 9/11 and pearl harbor this week. My daughter wrote a story of what she was doing on 9/11/01. She was only 13 months old when it happen. So I told her what we were doing and how it changed my life as well as hers. I gave her the newspapers I saved from that day. Plus my grandparents emailed my daughter a story of what they were doing when pearl harbor happened. My grandfather has saved the newspapers of when pearl harbor happened. So my daughter was thrilled she got to share her great grandparents story.

lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think that it's a part of American history and that it should be talked about and taught in school, for sure.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 9:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2009