"I kissed a girl and I like it...."

"Us girls we are so magical,
Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
Hard to resist, so touchable.
Too good to deny it.
Ain't no big deal, it's innocent."

What do you think when you hear songs like this on the radio...innocent, degredation of society, or does it make you(or help you) to think how some people could view someone of the same sex?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally liked that song. It was catchy. However, I have to say that since I've had kids I find a lot of stuff that gets radio airplay is stuff I don't want my kids to learn the lyrics to and sing along. I turned off the radio in my car after I heard my five year old dd singing a song with very sexual lyrics that she learned off the radio (on a 'Top 40' type station- not like I was playing death metal or gangsta rap in the car for the kiddies.) I'm not a fan of censorship when it comes to music, but as a mom there is a lot of stuff I would rather my kids not repeat or ask questions about and I wonder why there have to be so many songs that are sexually graphic anyhow.
    Sorry to go on my little rant there- reading this back makes me feel old and prudish somehow! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• First off, I want to know why it's so controversial when Katy Perry sings about kissing a girl in 2009 but when Jill Soubule sang it in 1995 nobody cared?

In general, though, I always had the impression that Perry's version was more about straight girls who get drunk and kiss another girl to piss off their boyfriend or show off. Basically mocking real lesbians more than anything.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• not like I was playing death metal or gangsta rap in the car for the kiddies.

Go with the death metal - takes them WAY longer to figure out the words. Make sure you change it up, though, cause it's not good to have your kid run around singing Zimmer's Hole. Not that I would know. Or anything.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I change stations when I don't laike a song.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• but when Jill Soubule sang it in 1995 nobody cared?

What song is that? I don't know which one you are talking about?

! In general, though, I always had the impression that Perry's version was more about straight girls who get drunk and kiss another girl to piss off their boyfriend or show off. Basically mocking real lesbians more than anything.

I think you are right, and I don't like that aspect of it.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I love the song!!!!!!!!!!
    Freela, you are not prudish, you sound to me just fine, there has to be a limit to everything and kids cannot be hearing or watching stuff that is too violent or sexy, which they dont understand yet. You are there to set those limits and let them hear and see harsher or sexual things when their age and level of understanding right.
    You are just fine Sweetie.
    Greetings to OP too. Now I am going to My Playlist, hehehehe.
    Bea
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 8:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• This is the one Jill Sobule sang 15 years ago and nobody cared.  It was pretty mainstream, I remember it on MTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4r41vPTF8k

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• LOL NotPanicking! My seven year old son likes some of my punk stuff... I just play the less objectionable stuff for him. Or the stuff that's hard to hear. The Sex Pistols seem to work... I don't think he can figure out the British accent yet! The Ramones work too... it's okay for him to know that Sheena is a Punk Rocker, after all! Nothing that gets you sent to the principal's office there!
    I also remember the old "I Kissed a Girl" song from the 90's... I kept wondering if she was mad that Katy Perry ripped off her title and made more money with it than she did!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I hate it almost as much as the song "I want to take a ride on you disco stick", that should be banned from the radio.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well, personally, I love that song. I have kissed many girls and always like it! Ans as for the disco stick one, it's on my profile... LOVE IT! I see nothing wrong with it! I mean, don't like it, turn the station. No one is forcing you to listen. It's called freedom of speach people! You don't have to like it!

And I see nothing wrong with letting my kids here it either. I don't tell them sex is bad and don't plan on it. I won't ever hide the fun side to life from them just because it could be offensive... That's not what life is about. I think it's a great song. No one gets hurt... So, go with it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009