Room set ups for 4 kids and one on the way.

I have 4 kids
2 boys 4 and 10
2 girls 8 and 12
They are currently set up as girls together and boys together. When the new one arrives should we make the office into a bedroom for the new one or the oldest child or the oldest child of the same sex as the new one.
We currently live in a 4 bedroom house with 2 rooms set up an office and of course our room. Either way baby is rooming in with us for the first 3 months. DH even mentioned converting the attic but that sounds expensive! It would give the oldest both there own room though... I Don't know...

fourisplenty

Asked by fourisplenty at 8:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• i would do the oldest same sex hopefully it will be a girl since girls require more privacy in my opinion and if its a boy the 12 yr old girl is going to ask questions about why her lil brother gets his own room the baby will probly be in ur room for the first 6 mos or so so u wont have to worry about the older kids disterbing the baby in the same room
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• if you have the time/money to convert the attic go for it and either give the older children their own rooms or give the oldest her own and make a toy room
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think I would try to have a room just for the baby. You will need to go in to feed at night and you wouldn't want to wake the other kids in the room.

Maybe you could get some estimates from contractors on the attic idea. Just so you have a good idea of the cost.
    There are a lot of very good contractors out of work right now who will appreciate the job. Plus, if you and hubby are at all handy, you might be able to just have the electrical and maybe the drywall contracted out. Do the painting and maybe a laminate flooring yourselves.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 9:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• This is tricky,I don't know why everyone always put the baby in his own room, don't feel bad I did it too, my baby had the most gorgeous sweet smelling room,and the 2 older girls couldn't understand why she had her own room,and she never slept in there,this child slept in our room from birth to 8 yrs. old,my DH broke the crib down,brought a youth bed, then broke the youth bed down and put her daybed up,it wasn't until her doctor told her she was a big girl and had to sleep in her room. Now,with that said,your older DD will soon be going through puberty and she will need her space for the days,when she want to be alone. So,put the baby in your room,and you have 3 months to decide. Congrats on the baby,you sound like a good and fair mom,it will work out find.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Babies get their own rooms away from because they usually wake up in the middle of the night and to keep them from disturbing the older kids who need their sleep it's easier to put them in their own room instead of rooming in with another.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I say baby in their own room until they are 1-2 so when they're waking up at night for teething or whatever they don't disturb their siblings. After that I would personally let the baby have his/her own room a little longer because babies get in less trouble than tens/tweens when they have their own privacy to that extent. heh....kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• That's a tough one! I think I would give the baby the single room - babies wake up throughout the night and would be waking up their roommates, and once the baby is moving around and getting into stuff, are the bigger kids really going to want their stuff slobbered all over? (we all know it will happen anyway, but at least if they're not sharing a room there's somewhere off limits stuff can go). As for older kids needing privacy - it's true, they do - - to a point. I shared a room with my younger sister until I was 15, and although I would have preferred a room to myself, it didn't hurt me any. My mom cleaned out an under-the-stairs closet and let me paint and decorate it - that was my "private" space until we moved and I got my own room.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• "babies get in less trouble than tens/tweens when they have their own privacy to that extent."

Older kids need more privacy than babies do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009