Offshoot of another question - are we getting more and more prudish?

In 1995 Jill Sobule sang "I Kissed a Girl," they played it all the time on MTV. Nobody cared. In 2009 Katy Perry sang "I Kissed a Girl," and parents lost their damn minds across the country about how corrupted their kids were by the mere existence of the song. This despite the fact that their parents all heard Jill Sobule in 1995 and still managed to grow up heterosexual and reproduce.

So why the change?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anyone remember the song "I Touched Myself", "Push It" or my favorite "I Wanna Sex You Up". I for one do not care what is on the radio my kids know that that is not appropriate behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I heard the latest one once and though, WTF is wrong with people.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think that its a backlash. The pendulum swings baaaaaaaaaaaaaack an forth. Its swinging more conservative right now.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The newer one is a remake? I didn't know that!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Not a remake, she just used the same title.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I remember all the flap about 'I Touch Myself' by the Divinyls... and didn't understand what was the problem with it. If anything, moms should have loved that message: I love this guy, but I don't have sex with him, I just masturbate a lot.

That being said, there are some songs that are on the radio that I cringe when I hear my five year old singing along to, even though she doesn't actually understand the lyrics. The constant airplay of 'Right Round' last spring got me to turn the radio in the car off because I could not handle my five year old singing a song about going down on someone... just not okay, even if she doesn't know what the song means. I don't know, maybe I am a prude... there is just stuff I don't want to hear coming out of my kid's mouth at age five!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009