How much to lose?

When you decided to start losing, how did you decide what your goal weight would be? I finally made the decision that enough is enough...and am starting Monday to eat better and have less of me to love. We aren't calling it a diet, but a life style change...cuz none of us here are eating very good and it will benefit all of us.
I'm at a loss though as to what I want my goal weight to be set at. I know I'll never be as thin as I once was, I'd end up looking as I did then...all butt and no boobs. I'm not putting my weight here because I don't want someone else to suggest a goal for me...but how did YOU choose a goal weight?
I also know there are a lot of weight loss groups here...if you're in one that is very supportive, please let me know.
Thanks

daisy521

Asked by daisy521 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• You can check your body mass index and see what your weight SHOULD be...there are tons of calculators online.

Or ask your doc, which is a good idea whenever starting a diet plan.

I actually don't bother with goals. They don't help me. I lost more when I just decided I was going to eat better than at any time that I set a goal.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• For me, setting small, weekly goals works better than "I want to lose 50 lbs"... "I wanna lose 2 lbs this week" seems much easier to accomplish! Then, whenever u reach a place where u FEEL good, then u can just eat healthy & not worry so much about weight loss. Good luck!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 9:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't worry about what I weigh; in fact, we don't have a scale in the house. I want to feel good and look good.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• To start, I have no doctor, no cash for one. The BMI system is not an accurate one, I've known too many women that should be listed as fat or obese just because they don't fit a certain mold.
    As far as not worrying about my size, I do have to agree with you, to a point. My husband thinks I'm gorgeous as I am. But I'm diabetic, I also have heel spurs, scoliosis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and two step sons that are 3 & 4. I'm getting to the point where everything just hurts, it hurts to get up in the morning, to walk, to breathe and just moving in general hurts.
    So this weight loss is more for my health, well being and sanity then it is for looks or ego.
    I've decided that what my main goal will be is being able to shop in the regular sizes instead of always the plus size. I haven't been able to do that in over..well since I guess about 1983. I'm really looking foreward to that! Even if takes a yr or more!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I went online and researched what I should weigh for my frame but since that number was so far away from what I weigh now, I am going to use it as a targeted weight loss goal. However I am just taking it week by week since I like you am not calling it a diet but a life change I have a weekly goal of 2 pounds per week.
    babyelqutob2

Answer by babyelqutob2 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 18, 2009