Knitting

My husband mentioned something about wanting me to start knitting and I've been wanting to. I stopped at our church which was having a rummage sale today and found a hook and some yarn to practice with for cheap. Anyone who knows how to knit real good have any suggestions for a beginner? My mom told me to look on the internet but I don't quite understand the direction yet. HELP!!!!!!

jilligan362

Asked by jilligan362 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• did you get a hook or needles? A hook is for crochet, needles are for knitting. In either case the book "I taught myself to knit" (or crochet) isvery useful as it is hard to do this without pics.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• A needle that looks like this.........I actually got 2 because I thought my 28 month old took out thinking it was a toy. But it's ok, it was from the church rummage sale so it's not like I was buying it from the store. It looks like this.........http://knitting.about.com/od/finishingtouches/ss/single-crochet.htm
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Having two needles is a good start because that's what you need. You could check your local yarn store and see if they offer classes. It's much easier to learn if you can see it and have somebody directing you. I'll be helping a friend of mine learn as soon as we can co ordinate schedules.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 10:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Its so much easier to learn in person. My MIL knits and having her help allowed me to make sense of internet guides when I needed them. I would never have understood them otherwise. Your local park and rec probably has affordable classes. I think the best advice I can give is follow a pattern, start small (like a baby scarf) and your finished product can only be as good as the yarn you buy. the "oh baby" brand as well as "debbie bliss" are my favorites for quailty, color and washing. The knit and purl stitches are the most important to learn I think but there's a special (though easy once learned) process to "cast on" which are the first stitches and "cast off" which are the final. If you want to do something that switches colors, its better to weave in a longer string of thread than cut and tie two colors- more professional and ultimately eaisier. Those are little tips I have for basics but really, take a class.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I wanted to learn to knit, as well. A friend gave me a book called "Stitch 'N Bitch" by Debbie Stoller. I know the title isn't very nice, but the book is great. I have given it to anyone who has shown interest in knitting. I get it at Michael's. Happy knitting!
    Kullsmom

Answer by Kullsmom at 10:44 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• IF you have what is in that picture then you have a crochet hook not knitting needles. They are two different things and make things that look drastically different. Knitting needles are long, pointed and have a stopper at the end. When you knit each stitch stays on the needle as you work through them. A crochet hook is usually short with a little bend end. You work each stitch individually (usually 1 at a time but some fancier stitches have you work several at a time).
    There are many sites online that teach both (many with videos). Since you have crochet hooks I suggest starting to learn to crochet and later pick up knitting.
    I taught myself to knit from a book and later picked up crocheting rather easy. I do both now and sometimes combine the 2 into 1 project.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Try a website called www. knittinghelp.com. There's still some awesome books out there (I recommend "The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting") but you can also see free how to videos on this website. Good luck!
    Bazora

Answer by Bazora at 2:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i'm sorry, i said i have knitting needles. i was talking to my mom and she said i picked up crochet needles. both the knitting and the crocheting just has me confused. i'm excited either way to have the crochet needles. thank you for the answers already given. anymore are still welcome as well.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009