Opinions about ADHD medication

I have a four and half year old son who is very aggressive and of course hyper never stops doesnt like to listen i have to repeat myself at least a hundred plus times I have tried taking away sugar and food dyes and it works for about 2 weeks then hes back to normal I took him to his doctor he suggested using a non stimulant medication to help because its really negatively impacting him at preschool even at home i feel like i am going crazy sometimes I told the doctor I dont want him to be a zombie and he said that if thats the case he is over medicated but I am stuck I am not sure if i should resort to medication for a couple of years till he learns how to control himself and his anger better where he doesnt push over bookshelves and throw things and hit and kick any opinion will be valued thank you.

asilva8305

Asked by asilva8305 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Personally, it doesn't sound like the behavior is ADHD, sounds like it's more behavior management. I would seek assistance for a counselor who specializes in teaching parents behavior modification/behavior management.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• both my kids were like that they will grow out of it!!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My son is the same way (he's 4) and what you describe IS NOT adhd so no he does not need to go on medication. You need to try other alternatives to the medication. My son starts what they call "play therapy" next week because he's the same exact way and is getting into trouble everyday at preschool.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• There are special tests to determine if this is ADHD or not. These test take about 4 to 6 hours and are administered in 1 to 2 hour sessions. You need to find a psychologist who specializes in children. Ask at your sons school for names of qualified persons.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 11:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well my son isn't angry and doesnt hit or anything like that he just doesn't listen at all.
    KalebsMommee

• Too many people (Even those trained..) are so quick to diagnose a 3-4 year old as having adhd and medicating them when it's as simple as trying other alternatives that work BEFORE medicating them. They seem to think medication is the easy way out when in reality it can cause more trouble in the long run.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My son is on meds for ADHD, but I did NOT put him on them until 4th grade. His doctor does not just medicate kids, especially preschoolers. I don't believe in medicating kids that young. Maybe he is just bored. You can take him to a child counselor and have him evaluated or even the early childhood program at your local public school (their testing is free and done my professional counselors and other special needs staff--speech, OT, etc). I don't know ANY professional that will medicate a child as young as yours and I mean NO ONE...doctors, nurses, mental health professionals, etc. Medicine made a HUGE difference in my son's life. Sometimes it works great, as long as the dosage is right. If the dosage is right, your child will not be a zombie, they will be calmer, better able to concentrate and less impulsive.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Can they even diagnose ADHD that early? I thought they needed to be 7 or 8 or so.

What you describe does NOT sound like ADHD. He sounds like a 4 year old who has some behavior problems.

I agree with the first poster.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yes they can diagnose ADHD this early. It is NOT, however, something that is diagnosed by a pediatrician.

As for the medication...there are times when it is necessary. Some kids cannot learn to control the impulses, behaviors and hyperactivity.

Personally, for me, it is a last resort. One we are looking at with our 5 year old.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• lemon balm drops may help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2009