Top former generals condemn Cheyney, agree with them? why or why not?

Charles C. Krulak was commandant of the Marine Corps from 1995 to 1999. Joseph P. Hoar was commander in chief of U.S. Central Command from 1991 to 1994.

we never imagined that we would feel duty-bound to publicly denounce a vice president of the United States, a man who has served our country for many years. In light of the irresponsible statements recently made by former Vice President Dick Cheney, however, we feel we must repudiate his dangerous ideas -- and his scare tactics.

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/other-views/story/1227832.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I quite agree. Cheney is irresponsible but then he always was. His recent outbursts are also a means of attack to avoid having to defend himself on account of the dreadful decisions he was responsible for during the Bush era.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I agree also. Cheney sat and did nothing responible for years and now wants attention for what reason? I can only imagine he is posturing for a run at the GOP nomination given that there is no leadership in the party at this point. Yes, he denies the idea, but so did Hillary!
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 10:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No, I don't agree. I like Cheney. The people that run our country have ugly and difficult decisions to make and keep very dark secrets. I don't want some pansy that wants to make nice-nice with all of the world's dictators sitting in the most powerful chair in our country. Say what you will about Cheney, but you are no worse off because of him. All of you on the left just love to attack and have a b$%ch fest about Bush and Cheney, so I won't bother discussing it further. You have your opinions, and I have mine. We will never agree and will always think of ourselves as right.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I agree with the op ed. I have never thought that torture produced anything worth having. People are hurt, scared, and not operating under anything other than base emotions. Yeah, that will produce good, solid intel. The generals make a good point. Cheney's ideas of "effectiveness" did not capture Saddam and al-Zarqawi...and people will be less likely to want to bomb us here in the US if we don't give the enemy fodder for recruitment.

I have always thought Cheney was a dark and dangerous man. Now that he feels unfettered, I am being proven correct. He needs to go into a quiet retirement.

And I am sure some form of rebuttle to this will pop up in a less than honorable way. Cheney and his camp have none, and don't understand it.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 11:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• All of you on the left just love to attack and have a b$%ch fest about Bush and Cheney, so I won't bother discussing it further. You have your opinions, and I have mine. We will never agree and will always think of ourselves as right.

What about the former generals opinions?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

Oh and PS, it shouldn't be a right or left issue. Ronald Reagan ratified a treaty AGAINST torture for ANY reason in 1988. You can go to my page and read it in my journal if you wish. It has been politicized by Bush admin ....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I like Cheney. You have an issue with ALL the men who served with John kerry and believe them to be a right wing tool, yet you agree when its reversed?? hyprocritical much?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I thought it was obvious that I don't agree with them. I thought you would have gotten that when I wrote:

No, I don't agree.

Is that better?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Ronald Reagan ratified a treaty AGAINST torture for ANY reason in 1988.

I don't consider our version of waterboarding to be torture. By my definition, if it doesnt maim or kill but only scares, its not torture.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Seriously Sweet A Kins do you ever talk about anything but your hatred towards all thing Conservative?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Sep. 12, 2009