If you were against your child listening to President Obama...

How about this?

School district that barred students from hearing Obama will bus them to Bush speech.

The Arlington Independent School District in Texas decided not to show President Obama’s address to students live yesterday because it reportedly didn’t want to interrupt its regularly scheduled lesson plans. However, the district has now decided to bus its students off-campus on Sept. 21 to hear President Bush speak:
District officials said it’s part of a Cowboys Stadium field trip that the North Texas Super Bowl Host Committee invited 28 fifth-grade classes to attend several months ago.
In addition to hearing from Bush and former first lady Laura Bush, the students will hear from legendary Dallas Cowboys players and North Texas business and community leaders. The event launches the Super Bowl committee’s largest-ever youth education program.
Dwight McKissic, the pastor at the Cornerstone Baptist Churc

auroragold

Asked by auroragold at 10:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• And? It is not a presidential speech in our classrooms... it's over... get over it already
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• *snort*

Yeah, sure, no politics in schools
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'm in Texas and this totally pisses me off. Arlington school is stupid and they need a new principal. Talk about double standards. And don't give me the crap that "only 28 students are going to hear [asswipe] Bush". That's a cop out.

I would still let my kid go.... because dumbass Bush and his wife are not going to change our families thoughts with one stupid... probably misworded... speech, but it's still extremely biased. If I were unfortunate enough to be in that disgusting school district, I would for sure let them know my feelings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It seems fitting..... Bush and his wife are have both broken the law. She commited maslaughter, he did drugs, got off on DWI charges... etc... and they're speaking in the new Cowboy Stadium. How many Cowboys have been convicted of crimes? How many have been assumed of crimes? That disgusting Micheal Irving just got admitted to the Hall of Fame. Apparently, it doesn't matter what you do in Texas as long as you're famous.

DISGUSTING.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• OH MY FREAKIN GOD! They have to get PARENT SIGNED permission slips to GO! There was ALREADY a field trip day planned for that day. They could have gone the aquarium (again), the zoo (again), or gotten to be at the opening of a MAJOR new arena where a man who is NO LONGER PRESIDENT and holds NO power is going give a speech. Its COMPLETELY diff!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I wanna go on the field trip!
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Nice try, momof030404. No, it isn't different. If you think Pres. Bush is an appropriate role model, you are seriously delusional.
    AMom29

Answer by AMom29 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• And don't give me the crap that "only 28 students are going to hear [asswipe] Bush".

We wont give you that crap. Its 28 CLASSES not students.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yes AM...I am delusional. And easily swayed. Please do tell me who the appropriate people to consider roll models, as you seem to think your opinions are the only ones that make people NOT delusional. What an asinine statement. They are going to see a new arena open....not to look for role models. Bush and co are not sending curriculum back to the school to influence the CHILDREN one way or another. AND the parents are being given a CHOICE to opt out. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Bush is no longer the president and this trip isn't about going to see former president Bush, it is something the superbowl committee has set up. It wasn't Bush telling America that he was going to be on national television in every classroom in the country talking to children. Unless Bush is planning on going to every single NFL stadium to speak to the school children of every state that has an NFL stadium, then this doesn't even compare. Some of the parents who didn't want their children to listen to Obama's speech didn't have a choice but to keep their children out of school to miss an entire day of learning. These parents just have to refuse to sign the permission slip and the child will most likely be left at the school to do some other activity during the day. They will not be missing out on school work because everyone else will be gone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2009