Does it take longer for your milk to dry up if...

I was wondering, does it take longer for your milk to dry up if you have been breastfeeding for awhile than it does if you never start breastfeeding? Or is it the same either way?

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• i breastfed for 5 months with both kids. and it took about 3 months to dry all the way up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• why are you already worried about it drying up? aren't you going to try it first?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My daughter weaned herself at 14 months, but by that point had only been nursing before nap, before bed, and upon waking up in the morning. All three were more for comfort than food, and when she stopped (she did so all at once) I had no issues with engorgement - I'm not sure exactly how long it took to completely "dry up" because other than missing nursing for emotional reasons, I felt no different. However, if you choose not to nurse at all you should be prepared for some engorgement/pain issues when your milk comes in and baby doesn't use it.
    There are some perfectly valid reasons for not breastfeeding, and I don't know your situation, but I would recommend giving nursing a shot.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i breastfed for 2 weeks but had latching problems so i quit and i dried up after a month
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I agree, you need to atleast try. Long enough to get the collestrom, or whatever it's called atleast. I did not with my 1st but with my 2nd and 3rd I did. I wish I would have witth my 1st and then that might have givin us a better bond. The other two I have a great bond with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Disregard what people are telling you that you NEED to do. Try if you want, but don't feel that you HAVE to. As for your question sorry i'm not much help ive never breastfed but it took quite awhile for my milk to completely dry up.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Milk can still be there for a year...no matter how long you nursed.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• YOU DO NOT NEED TO TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is your CHOICE to breast feed or bottle feed, do NOT listen to the breast feeding nazi's. They are not perfect and their choices aren't for everyone. I didn't breastfeed, I have an amazing bond with my son and have for 13 years, he is happy, healthy and very intelligent. You do what is right for you and your family and situation. If you are uncomfortable breastfeeding, the baby will sense it and bf won't work. As for drying up, I don't know. It took me about a week after my milk came in. It may depend on each individual woman.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• "YOU DO NOT NEED TO TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is your CHOICE to breast feed or bottle feed, do NOT listen to the breast feeding nazi's."
    WOW! I'm pretty sure I made it clear that there were valid reasons for not breastfeeding, and also that I wasn't aware of her situation and couldn't judge - - And none of the posters on here said that she HAD to try, we simply suggested that she think about it. And really, is that wrong? It might be a choice, but she did ask for our opinions. Is the name calling really necessary? Yelling "you do not need to try" seems like a much more aggressive statement than any of those promoting nursing.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I breast feed for 2 months, but I was also producing breast milk for about 2 weeks before I got pregnant with my daughter. See 3 and a half years ago I gave birth to a still born and my pregnancy kept going. I produced breast milk ever since. But since thenI found out I have a mass in my brain that makes me produce more ofit hatn I need but yet I could not breast feed my daughter. Itried for 2 months.
    Now I am NOT SAYING this wil happen to you by all means try if you want and if you don't hen fine. If you do try just be OCD about it. do it every two hours ntill yo have enough coming in. I pumped the whole time because I wanted my hubby to be able to feed her as well. I did suppleher with Formula because I just could not get enouvhg milk from myself. I suffered from engourment and still do to this day. I willnot regret my 2 months of trying to breast feed her. Good luck in your desicion.
    dae43123

Answer by dae43123 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009