do real labor contractions always hurt?

I was 2 cm. dilated when doc checked me today. Started to have contractions after intercourse....they have been pretty consistent.....

my question though is, when I'm sitting down I feel crampy and uncomfortable but when I get up and start walking I keep having them and they get a little stronger but I don't feel as crampy and it's not as painful...

could it still be real contractions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My sisters didnt hurt til she was 6cm and thats when they broke her water.. my water broke at home and it took 30 mins for the pain to hit. everyone is different.. they get stonger and stronger if ur in labor.. depending on how far apart they are too.. could be Braxton hicks. My braxton hicks were crampy and uncomfy when sitting and a little stronger less crampy and less painful when i got up..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My contractions weren't painful with my first child until my doctor broke my water when I was 8cm dialated.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 11:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Exactly how we're built to cope: By moving, walking, wriggling... Walking is an excellent pain-coping "tool."

Some women won't feel much/any pain in labor, usually this has to do with her perception (lack of fear of labor). You can actually make labor hurt more by "fighting" it or not wanting it. And by being afraid of the intensity.

When moms move & accept the progress in labor, they can reduce the pain.
    So walk and welcome it! :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• how bad are your period cramps. if they are bad times that by 100 and youll get the pain of labor
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yes, it could still be real contractions. Time them and go to the hospital if they're 5 minutes or less apart and lasting 45-60 seconds for at least an hour, whether they hurt or not. They might check you and tell you it's false labor and send you home (it happened to me), or it might be the real thing and you're just one of the lucky ones who doesn't feel it as badly.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would start timing the contractions, to see if they are getting to be regular, and if they are getting closer and more intense, then it's probably labor. Some women don't experience much pain until they are pretty far along in their labor. Every woman is different. GL!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• When I went into my labor contractions, I didn't know. they felt like period cramps and I took LOTS OF SHOWERS. I recommend!! But, by the time I was about 9 cm, for me it felt like a ton of bricks on my back. I gave birth at 36th weeks & 2 days. I was in labor from Saturday @ 9am until giving birth Sunday @ 11:15pm. I was able to handle my pain until the hospital. when the doctor examined me.

But, I know for other people they didn't experience this. It really depends on your body. My cousin said that she experienced period cramps. But, it's all up to your body to know and you will deal with the pain the best you can.
    Just remember to take LOTS OF SHOWERS THEY REALLY DO HELP!! congratulations on becoming a mommy soon!!
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 8:06 AM on Sep. 12, 2009