Sciatica!

Did any of you ladies suffer from sciatica during pregnancy? Or are you currently pregnant and suffering? How do/did you manage the pain? Any special tricks?

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 11:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Im 38 weeks ive been suffering from it since 30wks! My doc gave me darvocet i took it once an it didnt help so i flushed the pills! The only thing ive found to help is i took a pillow case an put rice in it an when im in pain i heat it up in the microwave an put it on where it hurts the worse! Hope this helps gl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Well I am only 12 and a half weeks and having this pain. However, I do have scoliosis and this is my 2nd pregnancy. It is too soon to get pain medication and I don't want to take tylenol at this time of the babies development. I have no idea what to do!
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 12:27 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• ah i now i kow what it says...lol i had this problem with my dd but right beofr i found out i was preg with dd i hurt my lower back and hip really bad...i lasted intill iwas 6 month preg with dd befor i went to the chiropracter...with this baby im g oing sooner im only 11 weeks and its been killing me for at least 2 my dr said its b/c im gaining weight but i have only gained 5 lbs so far so i made the appt for the chiropracter...i found this helped alot with my dd so i hopeing it helps again
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I had the WORST sciatica. I've had it for years, so it only got worse. I would have my husband rub my legs and butt when I'd get home from work (where it would get the worst). In a twist of fate, I was in a car accident a few months into my pregnancy, and the sciatica went away! My son is now a year old, and I haven't had sciatic pain since the accident!
    You CAN take Tylenol, and you can also try seeing an accupressure/accupuncturist for treatment, as that can be pretty effective for some people. Stretches may or may not help, since it is the nerve itself, not a muscle or tendon, that is in pain. Chiropractors (if you find a good one; ask around) can be good, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Any kind of yoga move that you do on all fours feels amaaaazing. The move I'm used to is called "cat cow". Look up how to do them. Also, I found that standing with my legs a little more than shoulder width apart, rocking back and forth with your bum clenched hard felt good. And I also rolled up a towel, put it in the microwave for a minute, then place it on all the right places on my back. Good luck!!! My sciatica went away after doing all of these things for a few weeks. I also take great care to NOT sleep on my back at all and I go to yoga once a week which always makes me feel better and stronger.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 5:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2009