can i feed my 3wk old kittens baby formula there mom ran away an i was curious if it had the right nutrients

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Human baby formula is not suitable for kittens. The proteins are too big and it will kill them. You can buy kitten formula at pet specialty shops.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:06 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My sister fed her cats baby formula and they were fine. I'm not saying Ati 13 is wrong, just that not all of them die. Actually, none of her kittens died and she worked at an animal shelter and was always bringing the kittens home that people would just drop off there.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:09 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i found some kittens once and took them to the animal shelter to ask what i needed to do to care for them. they said super watered down cows milk was fine.
    And (in case you dont know) you might also have to use a wet warm wash cloth on their butt to get them to go potty.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:10 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I know when I did it last they suggested the kitten formula, but we could also use baby formula if we couldnt get the kitten stuff. When my mother had puppies, she would use formula but added something to it, i dont remember what though. The bigger issue is a nipple on a baby bottle is too big for most kittens, so you have to get special bottles if you cant get them to lap it up normally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Go to walmart or petsmart and get KMR. It is made for kittens. Yes you can try some other things but it is not made for all of the needs of a kitten. It is like feeding a baby cows milk and not formula. It might work but it does not have everything they need and might cause problems...so why chance it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Another product that works is PET evaporated milk. Take a syringe (no needle) and slowly press liquid into side of mouth. Most likely they will start sucking and so there won't be a need to force it down them. You can pick the evaporated milk up at Wal-Mart. The syringe can be gotten from your vet. Goat milk is one of the best replacements, but if that is unavailable you can also find at pet stores formulas for feeding kittens and puppies. Good Luck with your kittens!
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009