Have you ever moved hours away from friends and family?

I'm moving 4 1/2 hours away from everything i've ever known and i'm scared to death! I'm really bad at making friends, and I'm going to be living on my own now. Anyone else feel like this when you moved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I am now living in TN and all my family lives in MD. The only people I have down here are my husband and my son. My husbands family lives down here as well, and if there was an emergency I guess I could call them but they tend to one day act like they like me and the next they do not. I am not going to lie it is hard. I have 2 friends down here and I moved here early 2008. I know more people from when I did work but don't talk to them except a hello when I see them. Sometimes I get lonely and I miss my family alot but I have to say it has brought my family and I closer together. And I would not change my decision for the world. There was no opportunity in MD for us and we struggled. Now living down here we are home owners and we have a stable life for our son. Even with it being so hard for me sometimes, I made a right decision on what was best for our family and that makes it feel better.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• sometimes u just have t make life work for yourself, join a local mom group they r everywhere
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:56 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• When I was 25, I moved from Northern California to SoCal. My dad made the drive down with me, and then flew home. As soon as his plane took off, I broke down in tears. I was nearly eight hours away from home, about to start a new job in a city where I knew practically no one.

It's been 21 years. I'm still in SoCal. It wound up being the BEST thing in my life. I met my husband here. I've built a life. And I made many, many friends.

Here's what's important: Don't hide away. Get involved in things, at work, at church, at your child's school. Making friends is no more than being able to talk to someone. And talking to someone is really more listening than anything else.

Dale Carnegie's "How To Win Friends And Influence People" is still as valid today as it was when it was written several decades ago. You might look for a copy...it will be very reassuring.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Hey that's the whole reason I moved! My family is sooo messed up it's ridiculous. Both DH and I were sick of it so we moved 12 hrs away. He's got one brother in town and then a couple more farther south but we're pretty much on our own.
    Join the group on cm for your new area. this website is a great way to meet people!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I moved over 3000 miles away when I moved from Canada to England.  I'm back in Canada now so I'm only 400 miles away lol.  It is hard to start with but it is also exciting and builds strength of character.  Good luck!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:08 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• yes, i do all the time. but you get used to it and its good for your self confidence. I always call my parents every weekend. and im 21 years old. lol. don't feel bad i did it 3 times. it gets a little easier as time goes by.
    jmsteele87

Answer by jmsteele87 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 12:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Four years ago, we moved 1800 miles away, from IL to NV. It was a great move for me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009