why homeschool?

No fighting, I am interested to know since many schools now aren't meeting requirements. I am considering it, but I worry that I won't be smart enough to teach my child everything they need to know. I'm horrible at math. Also, what about extra curricular stuff and class trips and dances and games and homecoming. I don't want him to miss out on that stuff. Don't you worry about what they might miss in their childhood? Some of the best times of my life were school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• There are several HS groups here on CM you can take a look at that help you teach the kids even in subjects you may not be that strong in. They also do a lot of field trip and socialization activities with other HS families. Often being outside more than in a traditional school setting.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• First of all, don't ever be afraid you are not smart enough! That is where many potential homeshcool parents go wrong. You learn WITH your children as you go along. It's wonderful! You google, google, google and you find yourself a homeschool group, even if it means you drive an hour or so to get to the meetings and events. You get yourself a notebook and write. Take notes, write down ideas, thoughts, etc. Yes, it does take time, but in the end it is worth it. It is really fun, if you let it be. You go on trips to wherever you want, get a magnifying glass and study bugs (boys love this!) You act out a story as a play (girls love this!) As far as having your best memories in school, that IS possible with homeschool, I know, because I was homeschooled. I am 24 now and I am homeschooling my kids. There are homeschool events like prom, etc now. Just search the heck out of things. Don't give up, you have a whole new world waiting..
    mamatoshayla

Answer by mamatoshayla at 12:53 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I hs because I refuse to let 5 years of rearing to be undone.BUT i too worried about high school curriculm but I figure ill get to that when it comes

allycally

Answer by allycally at 1:03 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I actually am enjoying high school more than other years. We do such cool stuff- dissecting and microscopes. We homeschool 6 kiddos ages 4-15. This is our 8th year, and we won't ever send the kids back to PS. Just do alot of research and tell yourself you can do it!
    6littlestitches

Answer by 6littlestitches at 1:20 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• We homeschool for many reasons...some top one's would be...because my children deserve more than what the ps system has to offer. Also, i love being with my children and couldn't imagine sending them away for 8 hours a day, when I can do the job better. Who knows them better than me? As for other activities, honestly, all of the possiblities are endless. Check into your community, libraries, museums and zoos. They get to do so much more and sometimes you have to step back because there is so much :) You can do this! join happy homeschoolers here on cm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• We started homeschooling my 1st grader this year. We chose to go through a public charter school. It's wonderful because all the materials are free, we meet with an educational coordinator and she answers any questions I may have and helps me to make decisions about her curriculum. I am able to work with her on 2nd grade english at a level that she's at and still work on 1st grade studies in other subjects. I am so happy we made this decision...and so is she!
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would love to homeschool. I find it disappointing when I asked a child what they learned today--and they say, "nothing." Its not just the kids, because other kids I ask have answers. I truly believe that most PS are lacking seriously in teaching our children a passion for learning.

I hope that when the day comes that I AM able to homeschool. However, Im a working single mama, so I don't know how that would fit into everything.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:19 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Im like you on the fence about the whole thing. I am leaning strongly towards it though. Times are changing and the times we live in are changing. I want to give my children an education that is more hands on- fun if you will. I was never given the option to learn like that. I think if I do homeschool. I will use more by the book stuff for the core subjects with a lot of neat fieldtrips and projects. The decision I have been toying with for months now. Yesterday, I picked my kids up from their grade school to see a funeral home hearse backed up to the side door. My heart race till I saw my babies standing there. Then the who swine flu scare- yes we have confirmed cases int he school- let alone in my daughters classroom. Then the idea of teachers feeling they have the right to fuss at the class, or tell a child they can't potty till they are done teaching. I understand for older kids this, but for a 6 year old?
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 12:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I have numerous reasons for homeschooling. One of them is that I do not feel that government school is a healthy lifestyle. Children are denied bathroom privileges at the teachers whim, they do not get enough PE/fresh air, sitting in a chair 7 hours a day in unhealthy, children aren't getting enough time for lunch, they are locked in a stuffed up room with other children and no fresh air.

Government schools are now only teaching the test. At home we learn all subjects, with individualized attention, each child works at their own pace and works till mastery. We never move on in a subject until the previous material is thoroughly understood. We are not only learning material but we are learning to think, question and explore.

My 7 & 8 year old children are already learning a foreign language. They are almost 2 grade levels ahead in math.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009