How can i get my kid to not be so hyper in school.

My daughter just got her first progress report, her teacher put that she needs to fallow directions and not be so hyper.What do i do?How do i correct this before it gets out of hand?.

sexypoca

Asked by sexypoca at 12:17 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take away the pop tarts and sugary cereal and chocolate milk, bananas,grapes,orange juice, french toast sticks and granola bars for breakfast. all way too high in sugar which makes her hyper and then she crashes and gets cranky.
    Give her heavy hearty breakfasts such as scrambled eggs, homefries, grits, apples, strawberries, bacon or chicken in a biscuit and milk. That will fill her tummy up and slow her down. just a suggestion.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 12:44 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• mayb she has adhd or add?
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 1:52 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• ask the teacher if its possible to move her desk away from her friends...also see if she can be in the front...thats what they did for me as a kid...and it did help!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Honestly, there isn't much you can do about it other than control her diet (excellent suggestion Joanne!). The teacher can do many things in the classroom to help her. But other than talking to your daughter and reprimanding her for misbehaving you are limited on what you can do since you're not there.

Is this her first year in school? Did she have this problem before?

I would meet with the teacher. First find out exactly what she means by hyper. Does your daughter call out, talk to classmates, not finish her work, get out of her seat, play around with things in her desk, etc? Ask the teacher how she thinks you can help with this and ask her what she's doing other than telling your daughter to stop.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Some things you can ask the teacher to do include:
    Move your daughter away from other students during quiet work time.

Use a timer to have her do work in short intervals to keep her on task.
    Minimize

distractions by using a study  carrel.

Set up a rewards system for when she is behaving.

Send reports home daily or weekly to keep you updated.

Use a self monitoring system (if she's 2nd grade or older), where your daughter has to record each time she gets off task or calls out (what ever her issue is).

Even if your daughter does show some of the signs of ADD/ADHD that doesn't mean you and her teacher can't work with her in class to teach her how to be productive and follow the rules.

Good Luck!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My son was hyper and finished his classwork before other children. The teacher said this was because he was above average. I also took him to the park after school so he could get rid of some of his extra energy before he did his homework.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• ADHD/ADD and work hard in school do not belong in the same sentence. My daughter has ADHD soooo bad that she would loose focus by turning a page, when reading books. Now being on meds she has made TREMENDOUS strides and progress in her school work. She is on meds but not to the point where she can focus.
    My doctor refused to even look at my daughter til she was 6. As long as it doesn't get in the way of learning or behavioral issues then he is just bored and wants something to do.
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2009