One glass of red wine during pregnancy?

Everyone I know says it's fine to have one glass and that their Dr.'s told them it was fine, yet I've never asked my Dr. about it. I'm 37 weeks and have yet to have a sip, but my husband just opened a bottle, and it sounds delicious, lol. I don't need a lecture on "can't I even wait 9 months?" or "why would you be so selfish?", blah, blah, blah....I've taken perfectly good care of both myself and my baby during this entire pregnancy. I'm just curious if you guys think it would be okay to have a small glass.

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• One glass is fine! Especially so near the end--a bit of relaxation would be good for you both.

In fact, when I was trying to decide if I was "really" in labor with my first at 37 weeks, a midwife friend of mine actually recommended I take a glass of red wine, go take a bath and just chill for a few hours and see what happened... I didn't have the glass as I just didn't have any in the house, but I did take a cup of tea and a bath! Turned out, I wasn't. The contractions slowed down, and my daughter ended up being born about a month later.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 12:38 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• around the last few weeks I had a few sips of champagne- I had A LOT of weddings I went to. I don't think you could handle a full glass (8 months without drinking, giant belly/ different center of gravity)- but a few guilt free sips should be fine.
    Just don't get drunk and risk falling on your baby bump.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:21 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• One glass in fine:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i had a small glass of champagne at a wedding and she has all her toes and fingers and is healthy as a horse
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Wont hurt a bit, in fact, my ob recommended a glass the night before I was going in to be induced.....of course the obvious is one glass, not the bottle...lol
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:53 AM on Sep. 12, 2009