how young is too young to try baby cereal?

4month old DD. She has acid reflux and Im kinda scared about trying the cereal incase she vomits it back up and chokes. Should I wait until the 6mo marker?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 12:19 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i believe there is NO age limit on cereal...its all on what your doc says...and what you feel is right too...i was told to start my oldest on cereal at 2mo cause she wasnt getting enough to eat and was crying alot at night...so doc said it was okay at that age to give her a little cereal before bed...helped alot!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• there is no reason she even needs it at 4 months so yes id say wait till 6 months
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Does she really need it yet? (some kids do and some don't). I wouldn't push it if your worried about it. What does the Dr say? If she is getting enough from breast or bottle I would say dont rock the boat yet and give her system more time to develop. If she is starving all the time, water it down really good before you try it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Have you started any foods other than bottle yet? My son would spit up tons and tons it was terrible but after I started him on foods it almost completely stopped. I would give the cereal and introduce foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My son has acid reflux too and a little bit of rice cereal (at the appropriate age and after being instructed my his doctor) went a long way in helping to settle his stomach down so he wouldn't throw up everything he was eating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I have a 6 month baby and my doctor told me I could start her on it at 4 1/2 months. I think it would be fine because my son had acid reflex too and he did better with cereal than just formula.
    sarahbearbabyj

Answer by sarahbearbabyj at 12:56 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Rice cereal is actually used for help with reflux... so it may actually make it better. But if you would rather wait that is fine too
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I gave DD rice cereal at 3 months with her pedi's permission. My DD had really bad colic and for some reason, the rice cereal made it a lot less! She loved it!
    momtoezzie

Answer by momtoezzie at 10:17 AM on Sep. 12, 2009