My son talks to other people?

My son is 15 months old...he used to say dada and baba and mama, but then he stopped talking, pretty much. Well, I was starting to get pretty worried-he babbles and talks a lot of baby talk, but no words-and then all of a sudden the other day, one of the people from his daycare said to me "He talks all the time!" Apparently at daycare he says mama, snack, cracker, dada, baba, diana.....but he doesn't say ANYTHING at home!! I sit down with him and try to talk and I talk to him all day when I'm home...is this normal?? Is there anything I can do about it?

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 12:38 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe try not giving him what he wants unless he tries to say what it is. I know sometimes people use this method and it helps.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:41 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• It's normal; It sounds like he's just being a booger head. lol My son use to argue with me when he was 9 mths! He's say dada and I would say no mama (because I was mama; dada wasn't even home) He would just get louder and louder yelling dada. It was quite funny. I would try to get him to talk with me and he would just sit there; but did fine for everyone else. He was just messing with me; maybe he knew how bad I wanted him to and that's why he didn't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• funny, cute
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:29 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Its completely normal. A parent knows their child's non-verbal cues and often responds to them without even knowing. A daycare provider however does not know each child on such a personal level, so if you want your juice and daycare lady is busy changing a diaper your not going to use non-verbal cues your going to scream "juice" to be noticed and get attention. Children learn to talk more at daycare because it gets their needs met faster then sitting there. At home however, mom and dad know just by a child's look what they want and without realizing they'll get the child the item and he never has to say a word. Kids pick up on this and thus they learn to be very talkative in one environment and more quiet in another. Its not bad or wrong, just what your little one has learned. If you want him to talk more at home make him use his words, but really think on whether this is a battle you want to fight.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I think it's normal... my son says a fair amount of words but a few weeks ago stopped saying most of them including the sign language he knows....
    My mom came and stayed with us for a week and I was telling her he had stopped... but for her he said all of his word and signs AND said new words that he never said to me.
    I think they just know that we will do what they want without asking for it or something.... or maybe they like the new audience
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:54 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• It sounds very normal to me. My son uses sign language with me and only me, he talks to my husband and won't say anything but "Kara" (car) and "Bob" (spongebob) to my mother. I would make him say what he wants before I give it to him. Like i make him say/sign for snacks, drinks and lunch. He also only signs to our dog but refuses to talk to him. this cracks me up but our dog does respond to his comands.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 1:41 AM on Sep. 13, 2009