Do BF moms think it is easier to wean babies from bottles?

I have just noticed how BF moms usually let child decide when to wean and don't want to cause fuss with baby. I know that formula fed babies are recommended to stop at one because of dental issues but it's not a walk in the park. I'm just tired of hearing, "I let my DD decide because I didn't want her to be upset and think I didn't want to do it anymore." Isn't the role of a parent to be the one in charge and the regulator. Since when do kids get to make decisions just because we don't want to upset them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Lol, I am having that debate in my head right now. I FF my first 4 and I saw that it was hard on them when I took the bottle away for exactly the reasons you stated. Anyway, my DD is past 1 year already, and I am BF her, but I want to wean her soooooooo (<--- I would add alot more o's if I could) bad. The thing is, for some reason, it really breaks my heart when she cries for "some". I try to tell myself that the older ones wanted their bottle too, they didn't get it and they survived, but I think it was a little easier because "out of sight, out of mind". Anyway, I am still not sure what is going on, and I still nurse her because of something I am hearing in her cry when she wants "some". But yeah, for now I guess she is in charge of me and not the other way around. I know I didn't help anything... sorry :) I just thought it was weird that you are asking the same exact question I have been asking myself.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• The truth is, breastfeeding is a positive expierience for a baby, and mother. Extended breastfeeding isnt JUST about the child's preference....many mothers carry on as long as they can.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yes I think it is. I have done both. Theirs no emotional connection for me with the bottle. Get rid of it and its gone. It might be tough on some kids but out of sight out of mind eventually. As for the breast well hopefully its always there. My youngest is now been weaned for about 5 months. It was tougher on me than on him.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Here we go again

Why the heck do you care? Does my Breastfeeding my child affect you in any way?

IF your tired of hearing it then stop listening
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:49 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I meant there is no emotional connection and my youngest has now been
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• most moms who bf let the child self wean because in reality the longer you breastfeed the better, so we hope they'll want to do it at least a year. That said, we do it as long as we can until the child decides they don't want to do it anymore not because we don't want to deal with a fussy child if we decided to stop, but once they come to a point where they don't want to you can't force them to do it anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• BELLASROSE71008 you did help a little. The fact that the milk is in their face and you feel like you are basically laughing at them saying "haha I got it(milk) and you don't would make it hard."(OP)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I should also add, that as much as I don't want to do it anymore, I still feel really sad when I think about not being able to do it anymore. The first night I was planning on weaning her, I took it really hard. There is such a strong emotional tie. It became a part of my identity (and that could just be because I wanted to bf her so much, and it was hard for me to do it).
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Self weaning has nothing to do with not making the baby upset. Has everything to do with continuing providing optimal nutrition for growth.

I've never thought ANYTHING to do with bottles was easy.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yeah, she just recently started putting her little hand down my shirt and she makes a little sound (like she is asking for something), and when I say "no, not right now" (which I know sounds mean even though I don't mean it to be) she starts to cry as if her world is going to end. I am holding her, playing with her, etc, but it is not enough... She even drinks plenty of milk from a cup... so it is not that she is thirsty, it is something else...
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2009