Feeding question

My son was born a preemie about 7 weeks early. Currently he is 14lbs and almost 5 months. My pedi told me I can start feeding him rice cereal and baby food. I started with the cereal and now I am giving him the baby food. He starts off eating then will start to cry and scream. Has anyone had this problem? I am wondering if he is not ready for the food or just doesnt like it :) . Any advice would be great. Oh yeah, he also has a milk protein allergy and is drinking the Similac Ailmentum. Is it ok to stop giving him the baby food now even though I already started?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, stop. No, it won't hurt to stop.

Remember that you need to age adjust. Your child is only approaching three months. Doc is having tyou start a bit too early. With a preemie I'd wait longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My son is 6 months and loves the baby food, however he is starting to get teeth at this point, you might want to check his gums, my child started to teeth at 5 months. Maybe that's why he's pissed off, I've been giving him food for quite a while now and he is doing great with it but i've noticed since he started teething that he getspissed off when i am feeding him, in the middle of the feed he just looks at me and screams for a few minutes and let him calm down and keep feeding him. With him teething i am giving him cold applesauce, that seems to work alot better. It won't hurt if you stop feeding him now, however you might want to check his gums first to see if that's what's going on as well. good luck
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 2:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Oh yeah if you really want to get him used to the rice cereal cut a bigger slit in the bottle and mix some into there for him, my child has had cereal with his bottle since he was born that might give you a better indication if it is from the cereal or it's from the feeding it to him factor. good luck
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 2:50 AM on Sep. 12, 2009