Is this normal? What is normal?

At our last doctor’s appointment his doctor seemed distressed about my son’s development. David is now 16 months old (born 1 month early) and maybe is having some kind of delay. He walks but not well 4 or 5 steps only before he sits and crawls or falls. Also he is not talking a lot. He says mama for me and milk (yes he was breastfed lol) that is about it for words. He will shake his head no sometimes. Is this normal for a 15-16 month old? Also he points, smells things, knows his name, plays chase, plays with toys, plays in the bath, he will hold a book open and act as if he is reading it (it may be upside down lol), he sings (babble) and will dance all day long, he does make and hold eye contact. What is normal for this age Moms? I have looked online for milestones but they seem to be so vauge and one list is sometimes greatly different for the next! I need to know or I may never sleep again!

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 2:22 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• so technically he's really only 15 mo... everything sounds like what my boys did at that age exept for the walking they started at 13 and 14 mo and caught on immediatly... but give it some time wait till he's two then have him evaluated... there is no such thing as normal,,,, lots of love and encouragement will boost him right along
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• That all sounds normal to me. His walking is on time and his words are fine too. ...i dont know why they'd be worried about his development. He was a month premie you said, so even if he is a little behind it would still be normal for him.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• He should be speaking more words. *should* but doesn't have to! My brother barely spoke until he was three, and he's a stinking genius now lol

He sounds on track to me! A late walker, but nothing to be worried about. DD didn't walk until she was 14 mos, but she runs just like other 2 year olds now.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Most of the things he does seems normal and on track for his age... the things that don't are the ones that you brought up... his walking and speech.
    I know with walking they wait until they are 18 months before they check for problems usually... so he has time to figure things out. It seems like he has a good start, one of these days he probably just take off.
    With his speech I would think he should be saying a lot more... my son is just 13 months and says about 12 words. Is he saying things that maybe could count as words? For example my son always says "ma" for up. It's not the same as he says "mama" and his inflection is the same as you would say for "up" so the word has meaning, just isn't right. SO maybe your son has more words but doesn't say them right?
    Also if you haven't done any baby sign language I would start... it helps with language development
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Boys and preterm babies are always a little behind however, he really does not sound like he is laging. He sounds like a happy, healthy baby. If your ped is that concerned he should contact early intervention and set up an evaluation. Call the office and ask.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Honestly, it sounds to me like he's doing fine. I was a late walker (19 months), but my son was early (9 months). DH was in the middle at 13 months. Speech is a tough one, because there are so many standards. While our son wasn't evaluated, I did talk with a therapist who said that anything from 3 to 30 words (understood by the parents) is fine at this stage. To encourage more speech, read read read to your child. Talk to them about everything - what they are doing (are you holding the red ball? can you throw the red ball?), what you are doing (Mommy's making a list to go to the grocery store so we can buy food. What do you like to eat? Mommy likes green apples because they're sweet and juicy. Daddy likes...)

We used these methods, and at 15 months DS had a 4 word vocabulary, at 18 months he was up to about 50 words, by 2 he was speaking in sentences, and at 3 (now), he tells stories.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 8:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Cont. My point is that doctors can make us worry often more than we need to. The "normal" at this age is often what's normal for your child, not what's normal for other children. If YOU think there's an issue, it needs to be addressed. But doctors don't always know!
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 8:49 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i think he's fine, even his speech. I would question whether you have the right doctor. i've never heard of a doctor being concerned about speech at 16 months, especially if he is babbling and trying to say words. My kids walked around 12 months, but i have two nephews that both walked at 21 and 23 months, and they are absolutely fine developmentally. Worse case scenario, when he is about 2.5, if he is not talking enough, he can start speech therapy (most states have a program that does not cost). It sounds like you are on the right track since you feel your doctor isn't quite right about this, so make sure he is stimulated, talk to him alot- i'm sure you already do, and use your best judgement.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Sounds good to me. I babysit a 14 month old and she isn't walking yet. She only says Dada and Uh oh ....and sometimes Momma. And then I look back at when my daughter was a baby and she didn't walk until she was 14-15 months old, didn't crawl till 10 months. She did have a speech delay but had a therapist from 3-5 years old. Now at 9 years old she is an A and B student!!! I wouldn't worry too much. They all develop differently.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• get a second opion from an other docter,u dont have to switch doctors just a second opion.your little sounds like he is right on track to me
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2009