He's becoming a momma's boy..!!

I have a 9 month old little boy & im 6 month's pregnant with our precious princess....and for the last month or so my son has completly clung to me like crazy.i cant take a shower,use the restroom,cook dinner or even go into another room without him crying.and it's more than crying he throw's these tantrums were he screams to the top of his lung's,throw's himself back and doesnt stop until i come back in the room or pick him up. his dad(my husband) has tried to step in a little more and me lay off some so it's just dad,and we have tried to let him just cry it out,cause we know that the new baby is coming,but nothing seems to be working....somebody please help we only have 4 more month's to fix this..!!

KiBURi_JRzMoMMy

Asked by KiBURi_JRzMoMMy at 2:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Before you just “let him cry it out” I think that I would consult a doctor just to make sure that is healthy and how long a crying tantrum can go on before you as his mother you need to takes action. It seems that we have some hard asses here no disrespect but I think dogs are trained not a 9 month old. I am not sure your exact situation but I know with my son it is really hard for him. Please note this maybe called a tantrum but he is not crying for a toy or candy but love and mama time. I think some children just need extra love. He will grow out of it but I think forcing him out of it maybe extreme to say the least. Also I am going to try sitting next to my little man that sounds like a great approach. But as far as some of the other ideas I mean really just step over him what could that be saying to an infant??? Good luck with this situation and also congrats on the little girl!!!
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 5:12 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I don't think you can "fix" anything, exactly. But maybe just see what this very young baby needs. He is having a hard time with something~ maybe he's getting ready to crawl, over-tired, teething, new babysitter, mom's breastmilk is drying up, illness...

Has anything changed around the home?

Sounds like things will be intense there with two babies. Maybe this is a good time to teach baby sign language and practice attachment parenting~ two things that can help nurture your guy (and gal!) to be better understood & happy.
    :-)

It also sounds like some "separation anxiety," which is common for this age, too. It WILL pass!! If he needs to always be near where he can see you, it's okay to keep him happy this way (do as much as you can...) it could help. It's temporary.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:44 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Wow...you said it all. My boy is like that to I cannot go out or even to the bathroom and not take him with. I feel ya sister!!!!

Hey if you find the answer let me know ok, really I think they just love us so much that they need to be next to us because that is where they feel safe and happy.

Good luck
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 2:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Well, obviously none of us know the full situation here, but to me it just sounds like your 9 month old has learned how to throw a tantrum. Unless there is something going on with him (like teething, illness, etc.) I would NOT give in to this behavior. 9 month olds are smarter than you think.

My children do NOT come into the bathroom with me or follow me around the house all day. Are they just more independent than yours? Perhaps. But perhaps I've also trained them to be that way.

Btw, my kids are 4, 3, and 2 and I'm due any day now with our 4th, so I'm pretty familiar with this type of situation. :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:21 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i kno what u mean... i am 8 months prego with a 10 month old... my son started throwing alot of fits lately...i dont give into him though i let him cry it out...i know its stressful to hear the baby screaming bloody murder but babies are smarter then we realize.. when my son started his fits i would run to him to make sure he was ok and i would hold and cuddle him and he would stop crying..i realized that i cant keep doin that especailly with another baby on the way... i hope u find a way that works for u and ur fam. good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• this could be a phase...the BEST thing you can do is ignore it...i mean literally step over him if hes in full blown tantrum...reason why is if you pick him up when hes in the middle of meltdown mode he will realize that all he has to do is throw a fit to get what he wants...don't pick him up or cuddle until his fit is over...the best thing to do for this behavior is just to ignore...it will take time but he will catch on...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:35 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My third daughter use to bang her head on the floor to get her own way. Told the ped I wanted it documented so when she came in with brain damage they would know I didn't do that. Ped told me to sit close to her until tantrum was over then speak softly to her. Don't pick her up or give her what she wants and it will stop. Took 2 weeks then guess what...it stopped. Very hard to do though because it is so hard to listen to your baby cry. Good luck.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2009